[comp.emacs] Gnews 1.1

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Matthew P Wiener) (02/22/88)

Gnews is now up to version 1.1.  I've put gnews-1.1-tar.Z on ucbvax, or
instead you can take gnews-1.01-shar (~46 K) containing diffs and the two
new README-type files I added.
The paragraph below was sent off to bug-gnu-emacs by someone quick on
the draw; we're still at 18.49.1 here on garnet.  I of course do not know
if this refers to the quickly withdrawn version or not--perhaps next time
RMS could tell us just what the horrendous bug was so that we can all nod
knowingly when necessary.

|The function "lisp-mode-variables" in lisp-mode.el has gained a
|"lisp-syntax" argument in 18.50.  (It used to have no arguments.)  The
|calls to lisp-mode-variables in lisp-mode.el were fixed, but calls
|from other files (chistory.el, shell.el, gnewsutils.el) still use no
|arguments.  Perhaps lisp-syntax should be made an &optional argument.

Actually, Gnews itself is unaffected by the change to lisp-mode-variables.
I use it in the "N-Reply|Emacs-Lisp" code, the mode I use when posting to
comp.emacs.  The code was given as an example of user customization.
Below are the changes 1.0 => 1.1.  Overall several things run smoother.
The user variable article-big is used to indicate big articles.  So far
this means that articles this size and larger use article-init-display
as if it were effectively nil.  (nil is its default anyway)

Bugs in group-cancel (C), article-rot13 (X), article-rot13-restart (~^X),
news-previous (P), group-next-same-subject (~N), group-supersedes (S),
and news-move (M) fixed.

Bug whereby Gnews hung on servers that did not return trailing ^M's fixed.

Most of group-mode is now blocked when at the $-pseudo-article.

article-trace (t) will take a 0 prefix argument: this means go to the first
referenced article.

False reset warnings on keyboard-quit (^G) have been eliminated.

Newsgroup article counts should always be correct now.

Bogus newsgroups are now indicated as such and blocked from entry.
I'm leaving Monday afternoon, and will be back in another month, just in
time for April Fools' Day no doubt.  I wish all new Gnewsers out there
the best of luck, and I hope you end up liking Gnews as much as I do.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720