[comp.emacs] Echoing in remote shells in GNU Emacs.

karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry.) (03/02/88)

Starting up a shell on the current machin in GNU Emacs works
fine. When I rlogin to another machine, however, I get
(a) an echo of my command (trailed by ^M), and
(b) all output is trailed by ^M.

For example,
here% rlogin there
there% ls
ls^M
file1     file2^M
there%

It is easy to fix (a) with a stty -echo. I don't know how to
fix (b), though. Can anyone help?

Karl.         karl@umb.edu          harvard!umb!karl

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (03/02/88)

In article <607@umb.umb.edu> karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry.) writes:
>When I rlogin to another machine, however, I get (a) an echo of my
>command (trailed by ^M), and (b) all output is trailed by ^M. [...]
>It is easy to fix (a) with a stty -echo. I don't know how to fix (b),
>though.

try 'stty -echo nl'
---
Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
326 Commonwealth Ave.	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang
Boston, Ma. 02115	TEL:   (617) 267-4365