[comp.emacs] Help with RMAIL

jal@occrsh.ATT.COM (J_Allen_Schones) (02/26/88)

In my quest for the "perfect" mail system, I have been looking into
GNU emacs' RMAIL system.  I like it so far, but I have two problems.

Running GNU emacs version 18.35.

I invoke RMAIL with the keys "M-x rmail<RET>"

Problem #1:

RMAIL will not read any mail in my system mailbox.  I "fixed" this
with the following shell script:

	if test -s ${MAIL:=/usr/mail/${LOGNAME}}
	then
		cp ${MAIL} ${HOME}/.newmail
		: > ${MAIL}	# Yes, I know.  Lock problems.
	fi
	exec xemacs -f rmail

I tried to fix it with:
	"M-x set-rmail-inbox-list<RET>/usr/mail/jal<RET>"
but it didn't work.  What am I missing?

Problem #2:

If I attempt to (r)eply to a message that was forwarded by uucp (i.e.
sent from remote!remote!user), I will send the message (unless I fix
it) to "uucp".  Any fix?

Oh, one other thing.  I tried to use the "mh-rmail", but I was told
to run "mh-install."  Where in the @$#% is "mh-install"??

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

--
J. Allen Schones -- AT&T Technologies -- Oklahoma City Works
 PHONE: (405) 491-4950

shirono@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (Roberto Shironoshita) (02/29/88)

In article <254@occrsh.ATT.COM> jal@occrsh.UUCP (J_Allen_Schones) writes:
>RMAIL will not read any mail in my system mailbox.  I "fixed" this
>with the following shell script:

[a shell script which copies /usr/mail/$LOGNAME to $HOME/.newmail]
[and exec's emacs -f rmail]

>I tried to fix it with:
>	"M-x set-rmail-inbox-list<RET>/usr/mail/jal<RET>"
>but it didn't work.  What am I missing?

What you really want to do is put the following in $HOME/.emacs:

(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list (list "/usr/mail/jal"))

>Problem #2:
>
>If I attempt to (r)eply to a message that was forwarded by uucp (i.e.
>sent from remote!remote!user), I will send the message (unless I fix
>it) to "uucp".  Any fix?

I can't help you there.  The machines I work on don't run uucp.

                                  Roberto Shironoshita
1- The University doesn't know I exist.   | Internet:
2- Of course I may be wrong.              |   shirono@grasp.cis.upenn.edu

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (03/06/88)

As quoted from <254@occrsh.ATT.COM> by jal@occrsh.ATT.COM (J_Allen_Schones):
+---------------
| Oh, one other thing.  I tried to use the "mh-rmail", but I was told
| to run "mh-install."  Where in the @$#% is "mh-install"??
+---------------

Mh-rmail is not a complete system in and of itself; it is an interface to
MH 6.5, which is a product separate from GNU Emacs but available on similar
terms from UC Irvine or anyone else who has it and is willing to make a
tape or allow FTP access.  It's not the greatest mailer for novices, but it
is one of, if not *the*, most powerful; it is basically a set of mail utility
programs, with your favorite shell in place of the regular mail program.
(Mh-rmail, of course, is for people who use Emacs as their shell.  ;-)
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery