[comp.emacs] Double Mode line

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (03/07/88)

Jerome Freedman (jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA) writes:
> When I do an incremental search Emacs grows another mode line
> ....When I escape out of the I-search the screen heals up fine.

Gnu Emacs thinks you are on a slow terminal running 1200 baud or less,
and is trying to avoid a too-expensive screen repaint.  This feature
is great over slow modems, by the way.

If you're not on a slow terminal, something is amiss.  Is your
search-slow-speed variable at its usual default, 1200?  (To find out,
use C-h v search-slow-speed or M-x describe-variable search-slow-speed.)
There is something called baud-rate, but it's not a variable so I can't
display it with C-h v; I don't know how you can check this.

Documentation on this idea is in the Version 18 book on page 65, or in
the Info nodes (C-h i then the following commands):

	m emacs		; menu item for emacs
	m concept	; menu item for concept index
	m search	; menu item for search
	m incre		; menu item for incremental search
	C-s slow	; search for slow (a couple of times)

bob desinger

carllp@diku.dk (Carl-Lykke Pedersen) (03/11/88)

In article <690003@hpsemc.HP.COM> bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) writes:
>There is something called baud-rate, but it's not a variable so I can't
>display it with C-h v; I don't know how you can check this.

Its a function, so use C-h f baud-rate.

Regards
Carl-Lykke