[comp.emacs] File name completion in shell mode

mujica@CS.UCLA.EDU (03/08/88)

I would like to get a copy of the patches to shell.el to do
file name completion, that were posted to the network some
time ago.

chris@lxn.UUCP (Christopher D. Orr) (03/12/88)

In article <10120@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> mujica@CS.UCLA.EDU (S Mujica) writes:

>I would like to get a copy of the patches to shell.el to do
>file name completion, that were posted to the network some
>time ago.

me too.

--
Christopher D. Orr                  | US MAIL: Alcyone Inc.
UUCP: vu-vlsi\                      |          Lanark Building

jr@PEBBLES.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (03/14/88)

This isn't quite what was asked for, but...

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp
--------
Date: 12 Sep 87 13:15:10 GMT
From: allegra.UUCP!kautz@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: better insert file function version 2

A couple of days ago I posted a "better insert file function".  I just
determined (blush) that it didn't always work as well as it might for
pathnames which include "~" (namely /usr/name would not match against
~).  So this version fixes that difficulty.

(defun insert-file-name-tail (name)
 "Prompts for a file or directory name and inserts that name after point.
 Does not include unnecessary directory path prefixes.
 The name may be non-existent.  Useful in Shell mode."
   (interactive "FInsert file name: ")
   (if (string-match (concat "^" (expand-file-name default-directory))
	  (expand-file-name name))
      (setq name (substring (expand-file-name name) (match-end 0))))
   (insert name))

---- Henry Kautz
:uucp:	allegra!kautz
:csnet:	kautz@allegra.att.com