[comp.emacs] Looking for remote editor

mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) (03/15/88)

I am looking for an editor that will allow me to use a full screen on
one Unix system to edit files on another Unix system over a SERIAL 2400
bps line.  Best would be a local full screen interface to ed(1) running
on the remote system.  The goal is to have the traffic over the serial
line be as low as possible, so that I get as responsive a system as
possible on my local screen.

Any hints would be appreciated.  The only similar system I've heard of
is something to do with GNU emacs.  The remote system does have GNU,
but I haven't ported it to the local system (I normally use
microGNUemacs here)
	Thanks
	../Dave Mason,	TM Software Associates	(Compilers & System Consulting)
	..!{utzoo uunet!mnetor utcsri utgpu lsuc}!tmsoft!mason

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (03/16/88)

In article <290@tmsoft.UUCP> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>I am looking for an editor that will allow me to use a full screen on
>one Unix system to edit files on another Unix system over a SERIAL 2400
>bps line.

You can graft a remote file system onto GnuEmacs fairly easily.  What
you have to do is set the find-file-hooks and write-file-hooks to
invoke kermit to transfer remote files automatically. I have used
this in the past to get/put files via rcp.

Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
326 Commonwealth Ave.	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang
Boston, Ma. 02115	TEL:   (617) 267-4365

jr@PEBBLES.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (03/16/88)

>> In article <290@tmsoft.UUCP> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>> >I am looking for an editor that will allow me to use a full screen on
>> >one Unix system to edit files on another Unix system over a SERIAL 2400
>> >bps line.
>>
>> You can graft a remote file system onto GnuEmacs fairly easily.

For an example of how this might be done, look at the ftp.el code.

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp