[comp.emacs] GNU-emacs 18.50 and X11R2

reilly@atari.dec.com (Michael Reilly) (03/10/88)

I brought up X11 release 2 this week and corrected x11term.c so that it
wouldn't dump core when pasring command line options.  (It used
sizeof(char *ptr) instead of strlen(ptr) when xmalloc'ing memory to copy
strings into.

Everything now works with two exceptions -

	1.  When emacs first starts up (I do not specifiy a file to be
edited on the command line) it hangs before displaying the mode line.  The
window is created but has nothing in it except the very bottom line which
is a string put out by my .emacs file.  When I touch any key or click the
mouse in the emacs window it continues normally.  I.e., it seems to be hung
waiting for an event.  Has anyone else seen this?

	2.  I can set all of the colors (foreground, background, the text
cursor) except the mouse pointer color.  It is always black with a white
border.  Has anyone found and corrected this problem?

While the above exceptions are minor I am having a larger problem with the
x version of gdb (xgdb).  Attempts to compile xgdb.c result in the
following:

xgdb.c:33:(offset 1252): can't find include file `X11/TopLevel.h'
xgdb.c:34:(offset 1275): can't find include file `X11/VPane.h'
xgdb.c:38:(offset 1372): can't find include file `X11/ButtonBox.h'

Does xgdb.c need to be changed or am I missing some files?

Thank you,

mike

weltyc@nysernic (Christopher A. Welty) (03/18/88)

In article <265@atari.dec.com> reilly@atari.dec.com (Michael Reilly) writes:

>	1.  When emacs first starts up (I do not specifiy a file to be
>edited on the command line) it hangs before displaying the mode line.  The
>window is created but has nothing in it except the very bottom line which
>is a string put out by my .emacs file.  When I touch any key or click the
>mouse in the emacs window it continues normally.  I.e., it seems to be hung
>waiting for an event.  Has anyone else seen this?

	This used to happen before I got the patches from Rob French
(rfrench@athena.mit.edu) who is the clearinghouse for X11 and emacs
things.  I don't know about the color stuff, and I also couldn't get
xgbd to compile, but since emacs works with X11 I just bring up a gdb
window within emacs.....

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu       ...!rutgers!nysernic!weltyc