[comp.emacs] windows & buffers & redisplay

gaynor@porthos.rutgers.edu (Silver) (03/18/88)

ward@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Ward) writes:
> I can generate split windows but when I type the text appears in all
> of the windows at more or less the same time rather than just the
> active window.

IF THE WINDOWS ARE ALL DISPLAYING THE SAME BUFFER, then this is action
is normal.  Consider a window to be the means by which the contents of
a buffer is displayed.  Then, if you have several windows displaying
the same buffer, and the contents of the buffer changes, it is only
natural that this change is reflected in all of the windows viewing
the buffer.  Visually, consider this tiny emacs, split into two
windows, both viewing the same buffer at the same point (cursor is
represented by a tilde ~ in the next line, the `all' signifies that
all of the buffer is being displayed (for the purposes of this
example)).
 _____________________ 			    _____________________
|abcde                |			   |abcdef               |
|     ~               |  Now, when an `f'  |      ~              |
|emacs: foo --all-----|  is typed, emacs   |emacs: foo --all-----|
|abcde                |  should appear     |abcdef               |
|                     |  as it does to     |                     |
|emacs: foo --all-----|  the right.        |emacs: foo --all-----|
			     ___
		    Cheers,  \o/  Silver
      201-932-2443 (mostly)   V   (internet) gaynor@rutgers.edu
      201-545-0458 (rarely)  _|_  (uucp)     ...!rutgers!gaynor