[comp.emacs] function key customization

leake@cme-durer.ARPA (Stephe Leake) (03/17/88)

I am running gnuemacs 18.50 on a Sun 3, but logging in from a vt220
compatible terminal. I am trying to set up the function keys to be
similar to the way I have customized LSE under VMS (_not_ an EDT
emulation), but apparently gnuemacs loads term/vt220.el _after_ my
.emacs, overwriting my efforts. Is there anyway to defeat this? or
anyway to autoload my stuff after term/vt220?

thanks
--
NAME:   Stephe Leake                    TELE: (301) 975-3431
USMAIL: National Bureau of Standards    ARPA: leake@cme-durer.arpa

karl@haddock.ISC.COM (Karl Heuer) (03/18/88)

In article <344@conky.cme-durer.ARPA> leake@cme-durer.ARPA (Stephe Leake) writes:
>... apparently gnuemacs loads term/vt220.el _after_ my .emacs, overwriting my
>efforts. Is there anyway to defeat this? or anyway to autoload my stuff after
>term/vt220?

It sounds like what you want is
(setq term-setup-hook (function (lambda () (Last-Minute-Functions-Here))))

claude@INTECH.ARPA (Claude Laferriere) (03/18/88)

In a recent posting, Stephe Leake <cme-durer!leake@UUNET.UU.NET>
reports the following problem:

> I am running gnuemacs 18.50 on a Sun 3, but logging in from a vt220
> compatible terminal. I am trying to set up the function keys to be
> similar to the way I have customized LSE under VMS (_not_ an EDT
> emulation), but apparently gnuemacs loads term/vt220.el _after_ my
> .emacs, overwriting my efforts. Is there anyway to defeat this? or
> anyway to autoload my stuff after term/vt220?

One thing you can do is to define EMACSLOADPATH in your .cshrc so that
it points to somewhere where you have your own vt220.el.  This will
accomplish what you want and still keep the system vt220.el the same
for other people.  Of course, your own vt200.el can be customized to
your liking.

Claude Laferriere		Internet:	claude@intech.arpa
Intellitech			Phone:		(613)236-7803

    / /|    / ----- ----- /	/     /	----- ----- ----- /    /
   / / |   /   /   /     /     /     / 	 /   /	   /	 /    /
  / /  |  /   /   /____ /     /	    /  	/   /____ / 	/____/
 / /   | /   / 	 /     /     /	   /   /   /	 /     /    /
/ /    |/   /   /____ /____ /____ /   /	  /____	/____ /	   /

steiner@topaz.rutgers.edu (Dave Steiner) (03/18/88)

Cc: steiner

I've locally added hooks for all the terminal types so that you could
just put your customizations on the vt220 hook but if you don't have
access to the sources you can do the following:

(if (string= "vt220" (getenv "TERM"))
    (progn
      (load (concat term-file-prefix "vt220") t t);load the term/vt220.el file
      ;
      ;do your customizations here
      ;
      (setq term-file-prefix nil))) ;set this to nil so that the term
				    ; file is not loaded again.

The load call above is quick and dirty for a vt220; if you want to see
how it's done normally, look at lisp/startup.el.

ds
--

arpa: Steiner@TOPAZ.RUTGERS.EDU
uucp: ...{ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss}!rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!steiner

stoy@prg.oxford.ac.UK (03/18/88)

   "... emulation), but apparently gnuemacs loads term/vt220.el _after_ my
   .emacs, overwriting my efforts. Is there anyway to defeat this? or ..."

I have in my .emacs

   ; use my special vt220 startup and suppress others
   (if (string= (getenv "TERM") "vt220") (load "vt220sp"))

The "vt220sp" file contains the line

   ; Prevent loading of usual vt220 startup
   (setq term-file-prefix nil)

I think this does what you want.

joe stoy