[comp.emacs] Gnews 1.3 available

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Matthew P Wiener) (03/24/88)

Gnews 1.3 is available on ucbvax via anonymous ftp.  Be sure that you are
in binary mode; it's /pub/gnews-1.3-tar.Z.

FSF will distribute Gnews eventually--right now they're waiting for some-
one to test and debug the /usr/spool/news code (in gnewspool.el).  Gnews
normally runs off of NNTP.  A volunteer, please!

Here are some testimonials, if you won't take my word for it that Gnews
is Great Stuff:

|		     We have a couple of our local emacs fans sorta
|beta testing it, and they drop by and show me all the funky features
|and such all the time. They think its the best thing since sliced bread.

|Definitely a win.  My congratulations.  Looks far more flexible
|than rn or rnews

|I love Gnews; I use it every day.

|Thanks for the fixes you sent me.  I'm very impressed with Gnews now
|that it is basically working.

Gnews isn't perfect yet--most of the above came with a big "but...".

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
Here are the changes since 1.0:

	1.2 => 1.3	(23.3.88)

per-hooks are faster and leaner now.

gnews-bug-report (^w) added to {news,group,index}-mode.

A news-next-unread-maybe internal was introduced, so that group quitting
tries to be smart about quitting and sitting versus quitting and seeking.
Change that function if you want different behavior.

Articles with missing Line fields are now counted correctly.  A tweak to
handle the Penn State bozo Lines field is in gnews-weemba (W)--it some-
times displays the wrong percentage on initial display, but it works.

group-follow-yank (F) prompts for a file-name at the $-end of a newsgroup.

news-default ( ) is set to news-next-unread (n) upon startup with a prefix.

An NNTPSERVER environmental variable is recognized.

{e,n}-reply-toggle (^c-) go back and forth between posting/mailing.  If
you use my customization 'article-to-3, note that it had to change.

group-catchup (c) with a zero argument catches up to current article.
You have to type ^u0c, not 0c, unfortunately.  Later.

Mode hooks are run before displaying the mode-string.  The group-mode
default now shows the article number if possible.

On a trace-back article, the group motion keys, like group-next-unread (n),
return you to the originating article in the trace back.

gnews-fset added, for use within pre-hooks.

	1.1 => 1.2	(22.2.88)

On initial no-connect, return to previous buffer.

New variable group-all-headers: non-nil means show all the headers.
This is intended for the *.test and control newsgroups.

Bugs in group-mark (m), index-mark (m) fixed.

gnews-hook-post is always(?) run now when leaving a newsgroup.

Unsubscribe and catchup code invoke the corresponding roster-* for the
internal work.

reply->-replace (^C>) and reply->-count (^C%) have been added to
n-reply-mode.  The first has also been added to e-reply-mode.

group-digit (0-9) is now used to pass both amarks and numeric prefixes to
commands.  Before it only passed amarks.  The 'group-range-prefix property
is used to identify which to pass.  Thus, "3t" will trace back 3 articles.

	1.0 => 1.1	(20.2.88)

The user variable article-big is used to indicate big articles.  So far
this means that articles this size and larger use article-init-display
as if it were effectively nil.  (nil is its default anyway)

Bugs in group-cancel (C), article-rot13 (X), article-rot13-restart (~^X),
news-previous (P), group-next-same-subject (~N), group-supersedes (S),
and news-move (M) fixed.

Bug whereby Gnews hung on servers that did not return trailing ^M's fixed.

Most of group-mode is now blocked when at the $-pseudo-article.

article-trace (t) will take a 0 prefix argument: this means go to the first
referenced article.

False reset warnings on keyboard-quit (^G) have been eliminated.

Newsgroup article counts should always be correct now.

Bogus newsgroups are now indicated as such and blocked from entry.