[comp.emacs] GnuEmacs under VMS 4.6 thru ultrix gateway using telnet

jaa@mrmarx.UUCP (Jerry Abramson) (03/29/88)

There appears to be an obscure problem using GnuEmacs
in the following manner:

1: Login to a terminal with direct connection to a unix machine
   (MASSCOMP)
2: `telnet' to a local ultrix gateway.
3: At the Login prompt type `VMSNODE::' to connect to a vms cluster
4: Login to VMS as usual.

The problem is that many control keys do not work (I.e. C-h, C-x, C-a,
C-f, etc) with no apparent pattern.

The terminal is set to VT100 using VMS; the same bug occurs if I
set the Gnu symbol `emacs_term' to `vt100'.

The version of GnuEmacs is 18.49.

The problem only occurs through telnet and a gateway.  The GnuEmacs
works fine if I directly hook up to the VMSNODE::

Thanks,
Jerry A.

jaa@mrmarx.UUCP (Jerry Abramson) (03/30/88)

In article <1252@mrmarx.UUCP> jaa@mrmarx.UUCP (Jerry Abramson) writes:

>There appears to be an obscure problem using GnuEmacs
>in the following manner:
>
>1: Login to a terminal with direct connection to a unix machine
>   (MASSCOMP)
>2: `telnet' to a local ultrix gateway.
>3: At the Login prompt type `VMSNODE::' to connect to a vms cluster
>4: Login to VMS as usual.
>
>The problem is that many control keys do not work (I.e. C-h, C-x, C-a,
>C-f, etc) with no apparent pattern.
>
>The terminal is set to VT100 using VMS; the same bug occurs if I
>set the Gnu symbol `emacs_term' to `vt100'.
>
>The version of GnuEmacs is 18.49.
>
>The problem only occurs through telnet and a gateway.  The GnuEmacs
>works fine if I directly hook up to the VMSNODE::

The problem is not with GnuEmacs, as suspected, but with the Ultrix gateway.

There is a documented bug (Deficiency) in the CTERM-based
DECnet ULTRIX remote terminal utilities `dlogin' and `dlogind'.
They do not support VMS-specific messages.  "This may limit
access from ultix nodes to some programs such as editors
and screen oriented packages that use VMS-to-VMS messages.  For
example, <CTRL/C> and <CTRL/Y> may misfunction when you use
a TPU-based editor."  -- DecNet - Ultrix release notes, March 1987

The solution, if any, seems to be to avoid using QIOW's or some such
nonesence.  Other editors (Of course the Dec supported ones, EDT
and TPU) appear to deal properly with this so it must be possible
to at least Hack it.  If anyone has an idea, I would greatly appreciate
the help.

:-- Gotta have GnuEmacs wherever I go --:

Thanks,
Jerry A.

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (04/02/88)

Going from Ultrix via DECnet to VMS 4.5 or uVMS 4.5, I had problems
in Emacs trying to type C-x and C-u, because Ultrix DECnet was interpreting
both as erase-to-beginning-of-line (as the VMS terminal driver normally would).

If I telnet'ed to a VMS 4.5 system that understood tcp/ip, the problem did
not appear.  If I SET HOST between VMS systems, the problem did not appear.

This problem occurs in both Ultrix 1.2 and 2.2.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa