[comp.emacs] request for help

steve@hubcap.UUCP (05/22/87)

 I only recently came up the "emacs" world and do not normally monitor
this group.  Could someone please tell me where to get the source for
the emacs editor for ULTRIX.

Please respond to

	steve@hubcap.clemson.edu

Much appreciated.

Steve.

damerell@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK (Dr R M Damerell, RHBNC) (04/25/88)

1. We have about 6 different VT-100-approximate-emulators, so I need a  program
that will send a "what are you" to the terminal & choose a TERMCAP entry
according to the reply. Please does anybody have one?

2. I ran off the Emacs manual (ver. 18.50) & it came to 300 pages or so. Is s
there a shorter document one can get to use as intro. for people who have
never seen Emacs before? A long long time ago there used to be a thing called
the Emacs Wallchart.? ??

Thank you for your help, Mark

karl@haddock.ISC.COM (Karl Heuer) (04/27/88)

In article <8804251727.AA25831@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> damerell@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK (Dr R M Damerell, RHBNC) writes:
>2. I ran off the Emacs manual (ver. 18.50) & it came to 300 pages or so. Is s
>there a shorter document one can get to use as intro. for people who have
>never seen Emacs before?

If you buy the bound manual from the FSF, it has a reference card in the back
(which can also be purchased separately).  However, my opinion is that the
best introduction -- especially for a new user -- is to simply run the
tutorial (C-h t, as described on the startup message that such user should get
when he types `emacs').

There are two prerequisites: (a) the user should have his erase character set
to DEL (and get used to this, if it's new to him, before tackling Emacs), and
(b) his terminal should have flow-control disabled so C-s and C-q can be used
as commands.  Both of these problems can be overcome with keyboard remapping,
but it's better for a neophyte to be able to follow the tutorial literally.

aglew@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (04/28/88)

/* Written 10:02 am  Apr 28, 1988 by aglew@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM in urbsdc:comp.sys.att */
/* ---------- "GCC 1.20 on 3B1" ---------- */
Thanks be to the folks who ported GCC 1.18 to the 3B1;
can anyone help me with the trivial problems I'm having with
1.20?

GCC 1.20 would not compile, because the large number of #defines
overflowed AT&T's cpp. So, I compiled GCC's CPP, by ifdeffing out
a lot of unecessary headers, and used it to compile (had to null
out the __STDC__ test in the binary, so that function prototypes
were not compiled in when using GCC's cpp with AT&T's cc.)

Am using tm-3b1.h -> tm.h, conf-hp9k320.h -> config.h (just to get
the bcopy's, etc.) and m68k-md -> md (I may have got the names
slightly wrong, but no problem).

Had to define SGS_3B1 when compiling this way.

Corrected a typo in tm-3b1.h -- the "short 0" after "swbeg" was
missing a newline.

Current problem is also with swbeg switch related code --
without SHS_3B1 it emits .set LI114,.+2, which is illegal --
the 3B! uses ~ instead of . for current location, but I haven't been
able to get that to work. With SGS_3B1 LI114 is emmitted explicitly,
but the expression L114-LI114 is evaluated on a (%pc,%dn) addressing
mode, which the assembler cries about.

Before I go any further, have I made a wrong turn somewhere in setting
up the environment for compiling GCC 1.20 on a 3B1?

aglew@gould.com
/* End of text from urbsdc:comp.sys.att */