[comp.emacs] X windows and System V

puerta@midway.ece.scarolina.EDU (04/29/88)

	I am trying to interface X windows and gnuemacs 18.49 under
system V (AT&T Release 2) on an NCR 32/600.  Apparently, it will not
work as is.  Is anyone running something similar?. If not, is anyone
aware of why does it not work and the extent of the changes necessary.
As a minimum, where should I start looking in the source files to find
out the cause of the problem?. Thanks...  --arp

wescott@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (04/29/88)

In article <8804290513.AA12926@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> puerta@midway.ece.scarolina.EDU writes:
> 	I am trying to interface X windows and gnuemacs 18.49 under
> system V (AT&T Release 2) on an NCR 32/600.  Apparently, it will not
> work as is.  Is anyone running something similar?. If not, is anyone
> aware of why does it not work and the extent of the changes necessary.
> As a minimum, where should I start looking in the source files to find
> out the cause of the problem?.

Which problem are you talking about?  The X10 implementation that you have
is streams-based and the emacs code assumes a 4.x socket interface.  But
that's only the start.  You can get it up and running only to die when
there are any operations on the window.  The calls on X get clobbered
by an SIGALARM (probably set in the code that tries to overcome the lack
of select() in SysV).  Given an error return, the default is to die.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM