[comp.emacs] forms/menu mode ?

jwg1@bunny.UUCP (James W. Gish) (04/21/88)

I vaguely remember seeing something about a menu or forms package for
gnuemacs some months back in this newsgroup.  I would like to get a
copy. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?  Thanks.

--
Jim Gish
GTE Laboratories, Inc., Waltham, MA

bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger) (04/22/88)

James W. Gish (jwg1@bunny.UUCP) writes:
> I vaguely remember seeing something about a menu or forms package for
> gnuemacs some months back in this newsgroup.  I would like to get a
> copy. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?  Thanks.

I think you mean template-mode.  Its sources were posted on
comp.sources.unix or a related newsgroup about six (?) months ago.

Eager to use it for writing awk and shell scripts, I brought it up and
took it for a spin.  Its ideas were great and the code seemed very
robust, but after a while the "fill in the blanks" approach wore thin
on me.  I guess the creative act of script-development doesn't lend
itself to the non-creative actions of filling in a template, at least
for my tastes.  Filling out forms would be a much better use for it
than handling coding details, if you're like me.

-- bd

clindh@Stride.COM (Christer Lindh) (04/27/88)

From article <690012@hpsemc.HP.COM>, by bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger):
> James W. Gish (jwg1@bunny.UUCP) writes:
>> I vaguely remember seeing something about a menu or forms package for
>> gnuemacs some months back in this newsgroup.
>
> I think you mean template-mode.

*I* think he means 'mfe.el' written by Peter Mroz (sorry, I don't know
email-adress). It works excellent for building forms, editing fields
etc but it may be slow on smaller machines as it does lot of
processing for each character entered.
--
        clindh@stride.COM        ::
   Stride Product Group, R&D     ::      "My howercraft is full of eels..."

jwg1@bunny.UUCP (James W. Gish) (05/02/88)

In article <777@stride.Stride.COM> clindh@Stride.COM (Christer Lindh) writes:
>From article <690012@hpsemc.HP.COM>, by bd@hpsemc.HP.COM (bob desinger):
>> James W. Gish (jwg1@bunny.UUCP) writes:
>>> I vaguely remember seeing something about a menu or forms package for
>>> gnuemacs some months back in this newsgroup.
>>
>> I think you mean template-mode.
>>

>*I* think he means 'mfe.el' written by Peter Mroz (sorry, I don't know

Yup - that's the one.  How can I get it ?