[comp.emacs] Spelling a TeX/LaTeX buffer

drl@backup.UUCP (David R. Linn) (04/24/88)

Let me restate my question: How do you convince the GNU EMACS command
M-x spell-buffer to correctly check the spelling of a TeX or LaTeX
buffer? M-x spell-buffer appears to use the system command "spell"
which processes its input with deroff which makes a somewhat ...
humorous ... transformation of the TeX input. I know about detex
and can do the steps of the pipeline by hand but would prefer have
the M-x spell-buffer command do the "right" thing.

jr@PEBBLES.BBN.COM (John Robinson) (04/25/88)

I have in my private bin/ a shellscript named "spell" contining:

  delatex $1 | /usr/bin/spell

Brute force, but it works both inside and outside emacs.

/jr
jr@bbn.com or jr@bbn.uucp

grunwald@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (04/26/88)

At one point, you could pick up the VorTeX Emacs files -- they had a very nice
TeX spell interface. Are those still available?

hermann@crin.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) (04/27/88)

In article <8804231931.AA02057@backup.vuse.uucp> drl@backup.UUCP (David R. Linn) writes:
>Let me restate my question: How do you convince the GNU EMACS command
>M-x spell-buffer to correctly check the spelling of a TeX or LaTeX
>buffer? M-x spell-buffer appears to use the system command "spell"
>which processes its input with deroff which makes a somewhat ...
>humorous ... transformation of the TeX input. I know about detex
>and can do the steps of the pipeline by hand but would prefer have
>the M-x spell-buffer command do the "right" thing.

Create a file .emacs in your home directory and put in it (among other
things)

	(setq  auto-mode-alist
		'((``\\.tex$'' . TeX-mode))
	)

This command assures that if you load a file *.tex in GNU Emacs buffer
you automatically set TeX-mode for it. Now you have all the special
and useful TeX-mode commands available. Try C-c C-h to see them. There
is also a TeX/LaTeX spell command in it. You can invoke it either as

	M-x tex-spell-buffer
or
	C-c C-s b

The tex-spell-buffer command gives you also the possibility to create
a hashed file of your own special words which are then in the
following spell command invocations not indicated as spell errors.

Miki HERMANN
Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy, B.P. 239,
	F-54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy , France;
e-mail: hermann@crin.crin.fr or ..!mcvax!inria!crin!hermann
--
Miki Hermann (hermann@crin.crin.fr)

arenberg@trwrb.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) (04/28/88)

In article <8804231931.AA02057@backup.vuse.uucp> drl@backup.UUCP (David R. Linn) writes:
>Let me restate my question: How do you convince the GNU EMACS command
>M-x spell-buffer to correctly check the spelling of a TeX or LaTeX
>buffer? M-x spell-buffer appears to use the system command "spell"
>which processes its input with deroff which makes a somewhat ...
>humorous ... transformation of the TeX input. I know about detex
>and can do the steps of the pipeline by hand but would prefer have
>the M-x spell-buffer command do the "right" thing.

I have made exactly the required changes to the file "spell.ml", but I'm
running Unipress Emacs and not GNU.  I also added the capability of adding
words to a local copy of spell's hash list.  I sent a copy of the original
poster.  If anyone wants a copy, sent me a note.

Jeff Arenberg
UUCP : ( ucbvax, ihnp4, uscvax ) !trwrb!trwcsed!arenberg
ARPA : jarenberg@ecla.usc.edu
GEnie: shifty

saito@slb-sdr.UUCP (Naoki Saito) (05/04/88)

In article <456@crin.crin.fr>, hermann@crin.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) writes:

> This command assures that if you load a file *.tex in GNU Emacs buffer
> you automatically set TeX-mode for it. Now you have all the special
> and useful TeX-mode commands available. Try C-c C-h to see them. There
> is also a TeX/LaTeX spell command in it. You can invoke it either as
>
> 	M-x tex-spell-buffer
> or
> 	C-c C-s b
>
> The tex-spell-buffer command gives you also the possibility to create
> a hashed file of your own special words which are then in the
> following spell command invocations not indicated as spell errors.

	We are using GNU emacs 18.50.1 now, but we could not find where
this "tex-spell-buffer" function is.  In the tex-mode.el, there's no function
like that.  Could anyone show me how to get this?

Regards,
Naoki Saito (saito@sdr.slb.com)
Schlumberger-Doll Research