[comp.emacs] Micro Emacs 3.9e

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (11/24/87)

I have just compiled microEMACS 3.9e.  I noticed that auto-cmode is gone
from estruct.h.  Is there a new and clever way of accomplishing the same
thing with macro's.

  ..curious

--
Greg Franks             XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,
(613) 725-5411          Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 8R8

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (11/30/87)

In article <433@xios.XIOS.UUCP> greg@xios.UUCP (Greg Franks) writes:
>I have just compiled microEMACS 3.9e.  I noticed that auto-cmode is gone
>from estruct.h.  Is there a new and clever way of accomplishing the same
>thing with macro's.

>Greg Franks             XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,

	Yes, MicroEMACS 3.9 has a hook which executes whatever function
is bound to the illegal keystroke M-FNR whenever a file is read. This is
bound to a macro in the standard emacs.rc file which parses the
extension. This could be made to automatically perform any special
"Language" mode.

	Warning however... the illegal keystroke method of generating
"Hooks" (word wrap and file read right now) will be giving way to
environment variables holding the name of functions to invoke at hook
time in future releases.

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533

res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) (02/12/88)

I posted this to comp.sys.ibm.pc and then found out about comp.emacs.
This is more appropriate so here goes.

I compiled MicroEmacs 3.9e using Turbo C 1.0 Large model.
I have one problem and one question.

1) Problem:  I can't seem to use any of the system interface commands.
  If I use ^X-! (Shell-command) and then type a DOS command (e.g. DIR)
  it does the DIR and them locks up my PC.  I have to reboot.

2) Question:  I don't like the way ^N jumps the screen when I try to scroll
  the last line.  Is there a way to scroll only one line at a time?

--
Thanks,  Bob Stockwell
pacbell!ptsfa!res

kwok@iris.ucdavis.edu (Conrad Kwok) (02/12/88)

In article <4118@ptsfa.UUCP> res@ptsfa.UUCP (stockwell-1140galaxy-Bob Stockwell) writes:

>2) Question: I don't like the way ^N jumps the screen when I try to scroll
> the last line.  Is there a way to scroll only one line at a time?

I don't know the reason for your first problem but for your second
question, I have a suggestion.  To scroll one line at a time at the
bottom of the window, you may first move-window-down (^X ^N) and then
goes to next-line (^N).  If you don't want to type 3 control keys, you
may define a macro to do it and then bind ^N to the execute that macro.
For instance, assume you use macro 30:

30	store-macro
	!if &equal $cwline $wline
		move-window-down
		next-line
	!else
		next-line
	!endif
!endm

bind-to-key execute-macro-30 ^N

Include the above lines in your .emacsrc or emacs.rc file

-- Conrad
internet: kwok@iris.ucdavis.edu
csnet: kwok@ucd.csnet
csnet: kwok%iris.ucdavis.edu@csnet.relay
uucp: {ucbvax, uunet, lll-lcc, ...}!ucdavis!iris!kwok

hirayama@suvax1.UUCP (Pat Hirayama) (05/04/88)

Hello world!

Some time ago, I offered to send people the sources and docs for MicroEmacs
3.9e.  My neighboring sites gently reminded me that such massive mailings
cost them money.

Anyway, of those of you who expressed an interest in receiving them by
snail mail, I have lost your addresses.  So, I am making an offer to all
of you out there.

If you feel like sending me a self-addressed mailer (return postage-paid)
containing any of the following:

	*	2 formatted 5.25" 360K diskettes.
	*	1 formatted 5.25" 1.2 Mb diskette.
	*	1 formatted 3.5" 720 K diskette.
	*	1 formatted 3.5" 1.4 Mb diskette.

I will be happy to send archives containing the sources and docs for
uemacs 3.9e.

Note:  I can handle 360K diskettes and 3.5" diskettes indefinitely.
I might lose access to the 1.2 Mb disk drive at any time, so hurry.

 Pat Hirayama  	     UUCP:  ...!uw-entropy!{thebes,dataio}!suvax1!hirayama
 Seattle University    or:  dataio!suvax1!hirayama@entropy.ms.washington.edu
 Class of 1988	   USNail:  28625-47th Place South, Auburn, WA 98001-1140

" . . . I FAILED the first time, Wesley, and you may NOT tell anyone!!"
					Jean-Luc Picard