[comp.emacs] Anyone using Ann Arbor terminal???

schultz@NRL-AIC.ARPA (Alan Schultz) (04/26/88)

I just aquired an Ann Arbor Guru and am having trouble with Gnu Emacs.
This is a BSD4.3 system here, and it looks like it might be a padding problem.
In particular, on startup with an existing file, either the content of
the file is not visible, or not situated properly in the window. Hitting
Control-L a few times SOMETIMES corrects the window. Anyone been through
this before who is willing to give me a fix. I really like using a 60
line screen with Emacs. Also, I am using the aaa-60 termcap entry.

   Alan C. Schultz
   Code 5510
   Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence (NCAR A I)
   Naval Research Laboratory
   Washington, D.C. 20375-5000
   ARPA: schultz@nrl-aic.arpa
   (202) 767-2877

hunt@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Brian Hunt) (05/04/88)

In article <8804261252.AA01912@nrl-aic.arpa> schultz@NRL-AIC.ARPA (Alan Schultz) writes:
>I just aquired an Ann Arbor Guru and am having trouble with Gnu Emacs.
>This is a BSD4.3 system here, and it looks like it might be a padding problem.
>In particular, on startup with an existing file, either the content of
>the file is not visible, or not situated properly in the window. Hitting
>Control-L a few times SOMETIMES corrects the window. Anyone been through
>this before who is willing to give me a fix. I really like using a 60
>line screen with Emacs. Also, I am using the aaa-60 termcap entry.

It does look like a padding problem.  Our termcap entry for aaa-60 is
defined in terms of the entry for aaa-unk, which includes the following
field:

:cl=156\E[H\E[J:

Thus 156 milliseconds of padding is used when the screen is cleared;
my guess is that this amount was figured on a 30 line display.
Doubling the amount of padding makes emacs behave a lot better.  I
think the most elegant solution would be to make the padding
proportional to the number of lines affected, e.g. change this field
in the aaa-unk entry to something like

:cl=6*\E[H\E[J:

(Anyone close to the source of these termcap entries listening?)

Brian Hunt
Dept. of Mathematics
Stanford University