[comp.emacs] apropos

schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (05/08/88)

Running Gnu-emacs, 18.51.1 (compiled with -O, 4.3bsd, vax):

I type M-x apropos set-marker and get an empty window.
Set-marker is really there, so why no apropos?

-- Scott Schwartz     schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu    schwartz@psuvaxg.bitnet

moore%cdr.utah.edu.uucp@utah-gr.UUCP (Tim Moore) (05/09/88)

In article <3565@psuvax1.psu.edu> schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:

>Running Gnu-emacs, 18.51.1 (compiled with -O, 4.3bsd, vax):
>
>I type M-x apropos set-marker and get an empty window.
>Set-marker is really there, so why no apropos?
>

>-- Scott Schwartz     schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu    schwartz@psuvaxg.bitnet

Is it possible that you're using 'command-apropos (the default binding
of C-h a) and not apropos? 'set-marker isn't an interactive function,
so 'command-apropos won't find it.

			-Tim Moore
	4560 M.E.B.			internet:moore@cs.utah.edu
	University of Utah		ABUSENET:{ihnp4, decvax}!utah-cs!moore
	Salt Lake City, UT 84112

schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (05/09/88)

moore%cdr.utah.edu.UUCP@utah-gr.UUCP (Tim Moore) writes:
%schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
%>Set-marker is really there, so why no apropos?

%Is it possible that you're using 'command-apropos (the default binding
%of C-h a) and not apropos? 'set-marker isn't an interactive function,
%so 'command-apropos won't find it.

Yup. That's exactly it.  Thanks for the solution!

-- Scott Schwartz     schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu    schwartz@psuvaxg.bitnet