[comp.emacs] Help with remapping C-h in GNU Emacs

cliff@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Cliff Bamford) (04/23/88)

I'm running GNU emacs 17.57.30 in an environment in which control-h
usually (and unalterably) means "backwards-delete-character". I'd like
to establish another keystroke sequence as the "help-prefix" , and
make control-h mean backwards-delete-character so I can let my tactile
memory autopilot take over the correction of simple typos again. I've
looked at the documentation and it seems to require changing global-map
which frankly scares me. What am I missing?

Any help gratefully received...
Cliff Bamford
cliff@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com
(619) 481 6266

mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) (04/25/88)

In article <1512@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM>, cliff@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Cliff Bamford) writes:
> I'm running GNU emacs 17.57.30 in an environment in which control-h
> usually (and unalterably) means "backwards-delete-character". I'd like
> to establish another keystroke sequence as the "help-prefix" , and
> make control-h mean backwards-delete-character so I can let my tactile
> memory autopilot take over the correction of simple typos again. I've
> looked at the documentation and it seems to require changing global-map
> which frankly scares me. What am I missing?

Don't be too scared it is as easy as putting the following in your .emacs
file.

(global-set-key "\C-h" `delete-backward-char)

hope this helps. Don't let the flames you will get for this question stop
you from asking more, it's the only way to learn unless you can find a
EMACS wiz localy to help you out like I did. Have fun!!

-- mike --

--
      -m-------  Mike Whitman		Phone : (703)848-2050
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology     Fax   : (703)848-4995

In article <179@pyrdc.UUCP>, mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) writes:
> Don't be too scared it is as easy as putting the following in your .emacs
> file.
>
> (global-set-key "\C-h" `delete-backward-char)

Ooops!! sorry about that typo. the ` should be ' mea culpa!!

I have already put on the flame-proof suit.

--

michael@pbinfo.UUCP (Michael Schmidt) (04/27/88)

Neulich schrieb mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman):
  In article <1512@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM>, cliff@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Cliff Bamford) writes:
  > I'm running GNU emacs 17.57.30 in an environment in which control-h
  > usually (and unalterably) means "backwards-delete-character". I'd like
  > to establish another keystroke sequence as the "help-prefix" , and
  > make control-h mean backwards-delete-character so I can let my tactile
  > memory autopilot take over the correction of simple typos again. I've
  > looked at the documentation and it seems to require changing global-map
  > which frankly scares me. What am I missing?

  Don't be too scared it is as easy as putting the following in your .emacs
  file.

  (global-set-key "\C-h" `delete-backward-char)

  hope this helps. Don't let the flames you will get for this question stop
  you from asking more, it's the only way to learn unless you can find a
  EMACS wiz localy to help you out like I did. Have fun!!

If you want to have ^H in ALL places instead of a ^? (DELETE),
you should do something like (the place with the ^? is the interesting):

(setq keyboard-translate-table
      "\000\^a\^b\^c\^d\^e\^f\^g\^?\^i\^j\^k\^l\^m\^n\^o\^p\^q\^r\^s\^t\^u\^v\^w\^x\^y\^z\033\^s\035\^q")

BTW, that translates all ^\ to ^S and ^^ to ^q. if you don't like
it, replace the ^s and ^q by the right numbers.

Toget help, you can do:

(global-set-key "\^[h" 'help-command)

what puts the help command on ESC-H.

     Michael Schmidt

--
    Michael Schmidt, Universitaet-GH Paderborn, FB 17, Warburger Str.100,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

news@hotlr.ATT (Network News) (04/28/88)

In article <179@pyrdc.UUCP> mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) writes:
 > In article <1512@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM>, cliff@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Cliff Bamford) writes:
 > > I'm running GNU emacs 17.57.30 in an environment in which control-h
 > > usually (and unalterably) means "backwards-delete-character". I'd like
 > > to establish another keystroke sequence as the "help-prefix" , and
 > > make control-h mean backwards-delete-character so I can let my tactile
 > > memory autopilot take over the correction of simple typos again. I've
 > > looked at the documentation and it seems to require changing global-map
 > > which frankly scares me. What am I missing?
 > >
 > Don't be too scared it is as easy as putting the following in your .emacs
 > file.
 >
 > (global-set-key "\C-h" `delete-backward-char)
 >
 > hope this helps. Don't let the flames you will get for this question stop
 > you from asking more, it's the only way to learn unless you can find a
 > EMACS wiz localy to help you out like I did. Have fun!!

Ah well, the re-setting of the C-h key to invoke the delete-backward-char
function is very easy.  It is setting up the keymaps so that folks can
still get help that is a little bit tougher.  Here is a slice from our
site-init.el file (the environment here also has the mindset ^h==erase).
BTW, this code is for version 18.36.  Earlier version may need a slightly
different approach to re-setting the help key as C-_ (or whatever else you
want it to be, some possibilities include C-M-h, C-x h, and C-^).

  ;; GNU Emacs site-specific changes file for Bell Labs  (hotld!nz, 9/29/86)
  ;;
  ;; define ^h as a delete, for convenience of users
  (define-key global-map "\^h" 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

  ;; define ^_ as the help command (^? on vt100 and tty44xx and tty54xx)
  ;; (Some of this may be a little different for 17.57)
  (define-key global-map "\^_" 'help-command)
  (setq help-char ?\C-_ )
  (fset 'help-command help-map)

Don't let changing the global maps scare you, that's why they are there.

rbj@ICST-CMR.ARPA (Root Boy Jim) (05/04/88)

   I've looked at the documentation and it seems to require changing
   global-map which frankly scares me. What am I missing?

Courage. Maybe the wizard will give you some (after he gives me a heart :-)

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
How many retured bricklayers from FLORIDA are out purchasing
 PENCIL SHARPENERS right NOW??

rbj@ICST-CMR.ARPA (Root Boy Jim) (05/11/88)

I responded to the following article below:

      I've looked at the documentation and it seems to require changing
      global-map which frankly scares me. What am I missing?

   Courage. Maybe the wizard will give you some (after he gives me a heart :-)

It seems that I have crossed the fine line between humor and ridicule.
Such was not my intent. I merely wished to be amusing, and to inform the
original poster that it really wasn't such a big deal. I did not wish to
poke fun, and I apologize if my response was interpreted as such.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Zippy's brain cells are straining to bridge synapses...