[comp.emacs] GNUmacs on 286

dalamb@qucis.UUCP (David Lamb) (04/16/88)

Every so often someone says ``GNU Emacs won't run on segmented architectures
like the 80286.''  Can someone summarize why, briefly?  Are there a lot
of data structures that have to be larger than a segment?  I have friends
who go to a lot of effort to fit large (software-paged) data structures
into small machines;  I'd have thought the distinction between segmented
and non-segmented versions of data structures could be hidden behind a
layer of macros.

chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (04/22/88)

In article <66@qucis.UUCP> dalamb@qucis.UUCP (David Lamb) writes:
>Every so often someone says ``GNU Emacs won't run on segmented architectures
>like the 80286.''  Can someone summarize why, briefly?  Are there a lot
>of data structures that have to be larger than a segment?

Entire buffers are held in contiguous areas.  This is not impossible to
kludge around, if you can't escape the horrible '286 fate; but it's hard
enough.

So why hasn't it been done?  I suppose that programmers good enough to do
this conversion have enough clout to get '386 machines. :-)

--
Chip Salzenberg                "chip@ateng.UU.NET" or "codas!ateng!chip"
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.

moran-william@CS.YALE.EDU (William Moran) (05/11/88)

In article <246@ateng.UUCP> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>Entire buffers are held in contiguous areas.  This is not impossible to
>kludge around, if you can't escape the horrible '286 fate; but it's hard
>enough.
>
>So why hasn't it been done?  I suppose that programmers good enough to do
>this conversion have enough clout to get '386 machines. :-)

Also, think about what the performance of GNU Emacs would be like on a
286 machine...particularly given the sorts of compromises one would be
likely to make to get it to run in the first place. If your time were
worth anything, it would probably be cheaper to get a '386 machine
than to do the port, although it would make the person who ported
Emacs something of a legend (what price fame?) ;)

			  William L. Moran Jr.
moran@{yale.arpa, cs.yale.edu, yalecs.bitnet}  ...{ihnp4!hsi,decvax}!yale!moran

My ambition is to write the High Life column for the Spectator; hell,
I'd settle for writing the Low Life column.