[comp.emacs] X11R2 and color displays

schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) (05/10/88)

I recently got X11R2 to work with GNU EMACS (18.50.1) on my SUN 3/60C
(4 MB RAM, SunOS 3.5) as a /dev/cgfour.  (Thanks to everyone on the
net who answered my questions and provided patches.)

Now that I can use color displays I have noticed that the display rate
is much slower than for the B&W driver. For example repainting the
screen in an EMACS window looks to be at most 9600 baud whereas on a
B&W X window, the display basically "flashes" up.

Is this a problem with my installation of X/GNU EMACS and/or a problem
with X11R2?

BTW, my mouse does not slide off any side of the /dev/cgfour display to
toggle between B&W and color displays.

john c. schultz                    {umn-cs, ems, tundra}!mmm!schultz
                                    ------or------     schultz@mmm.UUCP
The opinions expressed herein are, as always, my own and not 3M's.

Surface mail:  3M Center,                 AT&T:(612) 733-4047
               Bldg. 518-1-1
               St. Paul, MN  55144-1000

jeff@polyslo.UUCP (Skippy The Wonder Hacker) (05/11/88)

  The color X11 implementation provided by Sun to MIT is a real dog.
This is probably due to the fact that Sun is expending effort on their
X11/NeWS product, which they will charge for.  The slowness you are
seeing is entirely due to the poorly performing server.

	Jeff Weinstein
	Computer Systems Lab
	Cal Poly State Univ.
	jeff@polyslo.uucp
	ucbvax!voder!polyslo!jeff

ndd@duke.cs.duke.edu (Ned Danieley) (05/11/88)

In article <786@mmm.UUCP> schultz@mmm.UUCP (John C Schultz) writes:

>BTW, my mouse does not slide off any side of the /dev/cgfour display to
>toggle between B&W and color displays.
>
>john c. schultz                    {umn-cs, ems, tundra}!mmm!schultz

The only way that I've been able to do this is by running X on top
of suntools, after using switcher(1) or adjacentscreens(1). Is this
supposed to be doable directly from X?

Ned Danieley (ndd@sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC  27710
(919) 684-6807 or 684-6942