[comp.emacs] microGNU

mayer@hplabsc.UUCP (Niels Mayer) (03/14/87)

Can someone please summarize what the differences are between MicroGNU and
Gnuemacs? What features does it lack that makes it smaller?

A previous posting mentioned that MicroGNU runs on a Vax.  What other
non-micro machines and OS's does it support. Can I use it to replace elle as
my "quick startup" editor?

Thanks in Advance,
		NielNiwht:t:t

blarson@castor.usc.edu.UUCP (03/17/87)

In article <1424@hplabsc.UUCP> mayer@hplabsc.UUCP (Niels Mayer) writes:
>Can someone please summarize what the differences are between MicroGNU and
>Gnuemacs? What features does it lack that makes it smaller?

Things missing include an extention language, per-buffer modes, most modes
(auto-fill and auto-indent are present), variables, etc.  On-line help
is much less extensive.  Some of these things may appear in later
versions of mg if we can do it in a reasonable amount of space.
Documentation is another severe lack.

>A previous posting mentioned that MicroGNU runs on a Vax.  What other
>non-micro machines and OS's does it support.

mg1a supports unix (Bsd and sys V), VMS, and several micros.  mg1b
will include primos, atari st and cpm/68k support as well.  Since one
of the machines it runs on is a cray-2, I don't think it's limited to
small systems.  (Other ports are welcome.  Contact
mg-support@ucbvax.berkeley.edu if you plan on doing one.)

>Can I use it to replace elle as my "quick startup" editor?

Proabably.  Not being familiar with elle, I can't compare them.  Mg
does start reasonably quickly.
--
Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Eclb.Arpa

robe@wmt.UUCP (Rob van den Berg) (05/11/88)

Would someone mail the microGNU sources to me or tell me
where I can obtain them in europe (prefer. the netherlands).
Thanks in advance,

greetings,	Rob.

NOTE: we use apollo's and sun's running bsd4.2/3.
--
Rob van den Berg			tel: +31 15 569224
WestMount Technology B.V.		email: robe@wmt