[comp.emacs] Shell-mode trouble in GNUmacs

bard@THEORY.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bard Bloom) (05/15/88)

I'm using GNU Emacs v18.38 on a microvax running a BSD 4.2 variant.
Sometimes, but not always, when I start a subshell (M-x shell, say), it
complains:
  Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell...
and a few commands don't work.  (Naturally, job-control commands don't.
Also, sending a string to the terminal usually causes it to echo the string,
except when there's no job control.)

Any ideas about how I could fix this?

Thanks,
 Bard Bloom

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (05/19/88)

In article <8805151540.AA00920@TOUCAN.LCS.MIT.EDU>, bard@THEORY (Bard Bloom) writes:

> I'm using GNU Emacs v18.38 on a microvax running a BSD 4.2 variant.
> Sometimes, but not always, when I start a subshell (M-x shell, say), it
> complains:
>   Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell...

Your pseudo-tty's may be screwed up (at least, that was the cause of similar
problems at our installation).  You might try using crpty(8) to create new ones.
Pseudo-tty's are documented in pty(4).

-- Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs