[comp.emacs] Problems with emacs-18.51

jr@pebbles.bbn.COM (John Robinson) (05/16/88)

> I pulled over the emacs 51 patches, but have been unable to install them.
> Patch runs correctly for the first 15 or so files until it gets to
> spook.lines, at which point I get an error...

patch can't handle the diffs because the file spook.lines didn't
exist.  It may work to create an empty file spook.lines, or else just
edit it out of the diff file before running patch.  I think the latest
greatest version of patch may handle this okay, if you know how to get
it (anyone want to post instructions?).

/jr
jr@bbn.com or bbn!jr

dgy@sigmast.UUCP (Dave Yearke) (05/17/88)

In article <9035.579791273@pebbles> jr@bbn.com writes:
>> I pulled over the emacs 51 patches, but have been unable to install them.
>> Patch runs correctly for the first 15 or so files until it gets to
>> spook.lines, at which point I get an error...
>
>patch can't handle the diffs because the file spook.lines didn't
>exist.  It may work to create an empty file spook.lines, or else just
>edit it out of the diff file before running patch.

I have not had any problems with patch creating new files, and in fact it
creates several other new files from this same patchfile.  I believe the
problem is that each line of spook.lines contains a NULL character.  To
verify this, run split on the patchfile and "vi" the file that contains
spook.lines.  The status line will display "xxx characters (49 null)" (or
something like that).  In any event, removing spook.lines from the patchfile
and rerunning it should solve the problem.

On another topic, I have upgraded Emacs from 18.47 to 18.51 using patch.
The sizes of some files are significantly different from those shown in
the file dir.list, and cl.el wouldn't byte-compile.  Has anyone else had
this problem?

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		     ...!sunybcs!cald80!sigmast!dgy

anderson@cme-durer.ARPA (William E. Anderson) (05/18/88)

In article <465@sigmast.UUCP>, dgy@sigmast.UUCP (Dave Yearke) writes:

> On another topic, I have upgraded Emacs from 18.47 to 18.51 using patch.
> The sizes of some files are significantly different from those shown in
> the file dir.list, and cl.el wouldn't byte-compile.  Has anyone else had
> this problem?
>
> --
> 		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
> 		     ...!sunybcs!cald80!sigmast!dgy
> 		     ...!ames  >!canisius!sigmast!dgy

I could not get cl.el to byte-compile either.
--
NAME:   William E. Anderson            TELE: (301) 975-2423
USMAIL: National Bureau of Standards   ARPA: anderson@cme-durer.arpa

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (05/19/88)

In article <465@sigmast.UUCP> dgy@sigmast.UUCP (Dave Yearke) writes:
>On another topic, I have upgraded Emacs from 18.47 to 18.51 using patch.
>The sizes of some files are significantly different from those shown in
>the file dir.list, and cl.el wouldn't byte-compile.  Has anyone else had
>this problem?

Yes.  In fact I've never been able to get cl.el to byte-compile from
18.quitesometimeago - 18.50.  I presumed that the lisp reader for
byte-compile was in the wrong default state for cl.el.  I've never
considered it a problem as nothing else I can see uses cl.el.   I
might play with it if it worked but I don't really miss it.

gz@spt.entity.com (Gail Zacharias) (05/19/88)

You have to load cl.el in order to compile it.  Then it works fine.

--
gz@entity.com					 ...!mit-eddie!gz
	 Unix: when you can't afford the very best.

mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) (05/19/88)

In article <451@sunspot.cme-durer.ARPA> anderson@cme-durer.ARPA (William E. Anderson) writes:

>I could not get cl.el to byte-compile either.

The solution is, as usual, to read the code.  The comment near the top
of cl.el explains that you need to load the file first because it uses
some macros in the wrong order from their definition.  This causes a
problem only when compiling, not when loading.
--
                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

			Michael I. Bushnell
			HASA - "A" division
			mike@turing.unm.edu
	    {ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike

duff@eraserhead.steinmetz (David A Duff) (05/19/88)

In article <3700@oxtrap.UUCP> rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
>In article <465@sigmast.UUCP> dgy@sigmast.UUCP (Dave Yearke) writes:
>> [...] and cl.el wouldn't byte-compile.  Has anyone else had
>>this problem?
>Yes.  In fact I've never been able to get cl.el to byte-compile from
>18.quitesometimeago - 18.50.

On our system, it would compile, but the compiled file would not work properly
when loadeed.  I found that cl.el has to be loaded (uncompiled) before it can
be compiled correctly.

To really fix this, I think the file needs to be split up into two or more
parts.

Dave Duff
GE Research and Development Center
Schenectady, New York   518-387-5649