[comp.emacs] the DEL key from hell

c30845@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.JUNET (c30845) (05/21/88)

I am a fairly new user to Emacs (version 18.47).  I cannot
send a DEL from my terminal to the host machine (the network
captures them on the way).

I've side-stepped this by using define-key to assign an unused
control character to \177.   This works fine except in
an incremental search.   Instead of backing up a character,
I drop out of the search.   Is this caused by the read-char
function returning the original keystroke and not the mapping?
Can it be fixed?   Is there another solution?

Thanks in advance,

--
Keith Rowe                                    Naito Lab.  Tech. U. of Nagaoka
c30845@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.junet   "God keep me from ever completing anything."

moore%cdr.utah.edu.uucp@utah-gr.UUCP (Tim Moore) (05/22/88)

In article <1975@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.JUNET> c30845@tansei.cc.u-tokyo.JUNET (c30845) writes:

>I am a fairly new user to Emacs (version 18.47).  I cannot
>send a DEL from my terminal to the host machine (the network
>
>I've side-stepped this by using define-key to assign an unused
>control character to \177.   This works fine except in
>an incremental search.   Instead of backing up a character,

A more general way to redefine keys is to use the (almost)
undocumented keyboard-translate-table. This a string M characters
long; characters with ascii codes < M get mapped to the character at
that position in the string (starting at 0). As an example, here's
code from my .emacs file to map DEL to ^h (backspace) and bind help to
something else:

;;; map \^h to delete
(setq keyboard-translate-table "\0\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\177")
(define-key global-map "\M-?" 'help-command)
(define-key global-map "\M-?a" 'apropos)

Hope this helps.

			-Tim Moore
	4560 M.E.B.			internet:moore@cs.utah.edu
	University of Utah		ABUSENET:{ihnp4, decvax}!utah-cs!moore
	Salt Lake City, UT 84112