[comp.emacs] .ttyswrc file and sun running GNU emacs

carols@oliveb.olivetti.com (Carol Silva Hall) (05/23/88)

I have been running GNU emacs 18.5?, any way I have a sun and want to run the
sun-keys and sun-fns lisp files, but it says something about setting up your
.ttyswrc file. I cannot figure out the correct way to set this up.  I would
like to be able to use the functiuon keys with GNU emacs on my Sun.

						----Martin----

rmf@actnyc.UUCP (Robert M. Fuhrer) (05/23/88)

> I have been running GNU emacs 18.5?, and want to use sun-keys and sun-fns,
> but it says something about setting up your .ttyswrc file. I cannot figure
> out the correct way to set this up.

Well, I just brought up 18.51 on my sun-3 (SunOS 3.5), and everything works.
Except that, where my old 18.37 used to work fine with sun-keys.el and the
proper .ttyswrc (mapping R1, e.g., to ^[*R1, as I recall), the new one
somehow seems to change not the key bindings, but the sequence the function
keys produce.  In particular, R1 now produces ^X*ar, R2 ^X*br, etc.  My
.ttyswrc has not changed.  Anyone know what's going on?
--
The Foundation for Unmitigated Sillyness		uunet!actnyc!rmf
Department of Redundancy Department

scott@bu-ma.bu.edu (Scott Sutherland) (05/24/88)

In article <905@actnyc.UUCP> rmf@actnyc.UUCP (Robert M. Fuhrer) writes:

   > I have been running GNU emacs 18.5?, and want to use sun-keys and sun-fns,
   > but it says something about setting up your .ttyswrc file. I cannot figure
   > out the correct way to set this up.

   Well, I just brought up 18.51 on my sun-3 (SunOS 3.5), and everything works.
   Except that, where my old 18.37 used to work fine with sun-keys.el and the
   proper .ttyswrc (mapping R1, e.g., to ^[*R1, as I recall), the new one
   somehow seems to change not the key bindings, but the sequence the function
   keys produce.  In particular, R1 now produces ^X*ar, R2 ^X*br, etc.  My
   .ttyswrc has not changed.  Anyone know what's going on?

I'm confused.  I thought term/sun.el removed all the need for the
.ttyswrc stuff when the SunView support was incorporated.  I've been
using the function keys since 18.3x or so when all this stuff came out
from Jeff Peck (peck@sun.com), and have no .ttyswrc at all (just the
default you get from running Suntools).  I'm still running 18.45, but
have used the function keys on 18.50 too.  I always load /term/sun.el
at start though.

The bindings you report (^X*ar, etc) look like the stuff that sun.el
generates in emacstool.  I'd take a look at term/sun.el -- maybe its
changed in 18.51.

	Scott Sutherland
	scott@bu-ma.bu.edu
	Boston University Math Department