[comp.emacs] TVI950 termcap padding?

weltyc@nisc.nyser.net (Christopher A. Welty) (05/19/88)

	We are running GNU Emacs on a SUN4/280 now, and we have tvi950
terminals.  Every time I bring a paused emacs process into the
forground, I end up with garbage on the screen and have to wait until
all the garbage is done before I can refresh the screen (which works).
At first I thought this was a termcap padding problem since the SUN4
is so fast, but I tried putting a padding of at least 100 on every
entry, and 900 on `clear display' and a few others.  This did not
solve the problem at all, although everything ran noticeably slower.
We are using the standard termcap distributed by SUN with OS3.2.
Before I delve deep into the murky waters of termcap, I thought I'd
ask if anyone out there has a termcap for the tvi950 that works with
GNU and the SUN4.

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu       ...!rutgers!nysernic!weltyc

idall@augean.OZ (Ian Dall) (05/25/88)

In article <668@nyser> weltyc@nisc.nyser.net (Christopher A. Welty) writes:

>	We are running GNU Emacs on a SUN4/280 now, and we have tvi950
>terminals.  Every time I bring a paused emacs process into the
>forground, I end up with garbage on the screen and have to wait until

We had a similar problem and it turned out that the Sun4 optimiser
breaks on tparam.c.

We put the following in ymakefile and everything worked.

#ifdef sparc
tparam.o: tparam.c
        cc -c tparam.c
#else
tparam.o : tparam.c
#endif

--
 Ian Dall           "In any argument there will be people on your
                     side who you wish were on the other side."