[net.unix-wizards] ADB

paf@plx.UUCP (paf) (04/12/84)

I am looking for source to adb(1) for the 8086. Does anyone out there
know where such a beast exits? We have a UNIX system 5 source license.
I have hacked adb before; once in a lifetime is enough.

Thanx in advance: Paul Fronberg (..!ucbvax!sun!plx!paf)

hurf@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Hurf Sheldon) (03/04/86)

I could use some hints on using adb to punch a value to a real
address or if there is another way. We have a dzq board & the current Ultrix
driver does not zero the interrupt register. One suggested fix
was the above mentioned in a script with a 15 sec sleep loop. Seems crude
Is there another approach?

any & all comments appreciated

Hurf Sheldon
.

philip@axis.UUCP (Philip Peake) (03/06/86)

In article <302@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> hurf@batcomputer.UUCP (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
>I could use some hints on using adb to punch a value to a real
>address or if there is another way. We have a dzq board & the current Ultrix
>driver does not zero the interrupt register. One suggested fix
>was the above mentioned in a script with a 15 sec sleep loop. Seems crude
>Is there another approach?
>
>any & all comments appreciated

I suggest that you hang/shoot/drown or otherwise dispose of the
idiot who suggested such a disgusting idea !

The real answer is to *NEVER* buy anything in binary form. UNIX works
in the way it does simply because when things don't work it is possible
to fix it (correctly). If you *must* buy binaries, then do so from
someone you can physically get hold of when they don't work.

If it's a DEC driver shout at them, if not shout at whoever sold you
the driver.

Philip

(sorry I seem so agrevated, but these sort of problems really are avoidable)

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (03/14/86)

>/* Written  4:49 am  Mar  6, 1986 by philip@axis.UUCP in ccvaxa:net.unix-wizards */
>The real answer is to *NEVER* buy anything in binary form. UNIX works
>in the way it does simply because when things don't work it is possible
>to fix it (correctly). If you *must* buy binaries, then do so from
>someone you can physically get hold of when they don't work.

*NEVER* can be a long time. If we were only going to buy source code,
then several of the small companies I've worked for could *NEVER* have
afforded UNIX - nor any other operating system.

(Thank God I now work somewhere where we originate code and computer systems)

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.
USEnet: ...!ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!aglew
ARPAnet: aglew@gswd-vms