[comp.emacs] set-minor-mode

cdr@symbol.UUCP (Constantine Rasmussen - Sun ECD) (06/01/88)

I have a piece of elisp code that is looking for "set-minor-mode".  I
can't find it in the sources, can someone tell me what I need to do to
get around this?

Thanks,
   Constantine Rasmussen              Sun Microsystems,  East Coast Division
   (617) 671-0404                     2 Federal Street; Billerica, Ma. 01824
   ARPA: cdr@sun.com           USENET: {cbosgd,decvax,hplabs,seismo}!sun!cdr

duff@eraserhead.steinmetz (David A Duff) (06/02/88)

In article <8806011609.AA09715@symbol.sunecd.com> cdr@symbol.UUCP (Constantine Rasmussen - Sun ECD) writes:
>I have a piece of elisp code that is looking for "set-minor-mode".  I
>can't find it in the sources, can someone tell me what I need to do to
>get around this?

Yes, I ran into this too.  I finally found the information I was looking for
in the "news" on changes to the latest version of emacs (type ^h ^n).  Here's
a short excerpt describing what you need to know about to get rid of the
set-minor-mode call:

minor-mode-alist
		This variable is responsible for displaying text for those
		minor modes that are currently enabled.  Its value
		is a list of elements of the form (VARIABLE STRING),
		where STRING is to be displayed if VARIABLE's value
		(in the buffer whose mode line is being displayed)
		is non-nil.  This variable is not made local to particular
		buffers, but loading some libraries may add elements to it.

[...]

** Deleted function `set-minor-mode'; minor modes must be changed.

The function `set-minor-mode' has been eliminated.  The display
of minor mode names in the mode line is now controlled by the
variable `minor-mode-alist'.  To specify display of a new minor
mode, it is sufficient to add an element to this list.  Once that
is done, you can turn the mode on and off just by setting a variable,
and the display will show its status automatically.

>Thanks,
>   Constantine Rasmussen              Sun Microsystems,  East Coast Division

Dave Duff
GE Research and Development Center
Schenectady, New York   518-387-5649
duff@eraserhead.steinmetz.ge.com, duffd@ge-crd.ARPA,