[comp.emacs] Bug in s4.el init file

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (06/02/88)

In email, ford@kenobi writes:
>In kenobi!/u/gnu/emacs/lisp/term/s4.el, you wrote:
>> ;; by: Eric S. Raymond == {ihnp4,rutgers,seismo}!cbmvax!snark!eric
>>
>> (define-key esc-map "9" 'beginning-of-buffer)		;'Begin'
>> (define-key esc-map "0" 'end-of-buffer)		;'End'
>
>This (obviously) causes meta-0 and meta-9 to do completely different
>things than their documented meanings, and I don't see any reason for
>it.  What good are digit-arguments if they can only contain the digits
>1 through 8?

I never get bit by this because (like most ex-gosmacs users) I always use C-u
as my arg prefix. I didn't even know ESC was a valid alternate arg-prefix
until investigating this bug report of yours. Nevertheless, here I am
officially notifying the world and the gnumacs maintainers that they might want
to change this...
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      UUCP: {{uunet,rutgers,ihnp4}!cbmvax,rutgers!vu-vlsi,att}!snark!eric

In article <22a53eb1!3d57@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>I never get bit by this because (like most ex-gosmacs users) I always use C-u
>as my arg prefix. I didn't even know ESC was a valid alternate arg-prefix
>until investigating this bug report of yours. Nevertheless, here I am
>officially notifying the world and the gnumacs maintainers that they might want
>to change this...

That's a bit egocentric of you.  I don't know which came first,
Meta-<digit> or C-u, but I know that both were available in the
original ITS EMACS as long ago as 1979, when I first started using it.
If Gosling Emacs didn't support Meta-<digit>, it's the first such
implementation I've heard of.  I think it would be wrong to change a
long-standing, standard Emacs key binding because a couple of obscure
terminals happen to send that for a function key (I assume that's what
started this, as I missed the early discussion).

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
uunet!think!barmar

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (06/05/88)

In article <21604@think.uucp>, Barry Margolin writes:
> In article <22a53eb1!3d57@snark.UUCP> Eric S. Raymond writes:
> >Nevertheless, here I am officially notifying the world and the gnumacs
> >maintainers that they might want to change this...
>
> That's a bit egocentric of you. ... I think it would be wrong to change a
> long-standing, standard Emacs key binding because a couple of obscure
> terminals happen to send that for a function key (I assume that's what
> started this, as I missed the early discussion).

No no, I meant I thought the gnumacs maintainers might want to change the s4.el
they distribute! You assume incorrectly, I'm not *that* egotistic.... ;-)