[comp.emacs] Please send me $1.00

jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) (06/10/88)

   This recent request for money reminds of a news story i read.  It seems
that someone was sending postcards (a rather large mailing) that read:

            THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEND ME $1.00!

followed by an address.  The post office approached the person doing it and
said that while they could not prosecute for fraud, they would certainly make
and effort at it if this continued.  The person sending the postcards stopped,
however, the person had already made $50,000.00 by that time.
   This event occurred during the 50's when we weren't as sophisticated so it
probably wouldn't work now, or would it?

Jeff Fried                                 ...!ames!cullsj!jeff
Cullinet Software                          Reality, what a concept!
2860 Zanker Road, Suite 206
San Jose, CA, 95134                        San Mateo, CA  (home)
(408) 434-6636                             (415) 349-3744

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are solely those of the author.

halvers@iraq.steinmetz (Pete Halverson) (06/10/88)

In article <321@cullsj.UUCP> jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) writes:

>   This recent request for money reminds of a news story i read.  It seems
>that someone was sending postcards (a rather large mailing) that read:
>
>            THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEND ME $1.00!
>
>followed by an address. [for which the sender collected $50k]
>   This event occurred during the 50's when we weren't as sophisticated so it
>probably wouldn't work now, or would it?

Sure would.  It was just this year (?) that a DJ for some commercial radio
station in the Southwest asked listeners to send in a check for ~20-25
dollars:  didn't say why or what for, just gave the address of the station.
They ended up getting about $10,000.  It didn't sound like they were in any
legal trouble afterwards, either.   The money is going to charity.

Amazing.

[this is purely from fuzzy memory, barely reinforced by seeing the story on
two different news shows.  The details may be off, but the gist of the
story (and the magnitude of the dollar amounts) is the same.]

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Pete Halverson                       ARPA: halverson@ge-crd.ARPA
GE Corporate R&D Center	             UUCP: uunet!steinmetz!iraq!halvers
Schenectady, NY				   halvers@iraq.steinmetz.UUCP
"You may be a vampire, but you're still my brother!" -- The Lost Boys

gilgut@cg-atla.UUCP (Mr. Uucp X5277) (06/10/88)

In article <321@cullsj.UUCP> jeff@cullsj.UUCP (Jeffrey C. Fried) writes:

>that someone was sending postcards (a rather large mailing) that read:
>            THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEND ME $1.00!

I saw an add in a "personals" section of a local paper with the same line
a short while ago. No offer for service, no promise of anything for your
dollar. I didn't bite, but I'll bet some did!

I don't think there is anything unlawful in doing that, but......

					Steve

--
Steve Gilgut, Compugraphic Corp. Wilmington, Mass. 01887 (617)658-5600 X5277
UNISIG Suite/Campground Coordinator; DECUS U.S. Chapter