[comp.emacs] MicroEmacs under VMS

sasblc@sas.UUCP (Brad Chisholm) (06/25/88)

I recently compiled Microemacs 3.9e on our VMS system so that I could use
the same editor no matter which system I'm on.  Everything works great,
except it only seems to find its emacs.rc file when it's in the current
directory.  I've tried putting it in my default login directory, and even
tried assigning a logical name to it (ASSIGN SYS$LOGIN:EMACS.RC EMACS.RC),
all to no avail.

Any suggestions?  Without it I only get 24 out of 32 lines on my TEK terminal,
and I miss my cursor and function key bindings!

              Not looking forward to returning to TPU,
                            -- Brad --

Brad L. Chisholm          sasblc@sas.uucp             ..!mcnc!rti!sas!sasblc

armstrng@dalcs.UUCP (Stan Armstrong) (06/25/88)

In article <561@sas.UUCP> sasblc@sas.UUCP (Brad Chisholm) writes:
>I recently compiled Microemacs 3.9e on our VMS system so that I could use
>the same editor no matter which system I'm on.  Everything works great,
>except it only seems to find its emacs.rc file when it's in the current
>directory.  I've tried putting it in my default login directory, and even
>tried assigning a logical name to it (ASSIGN SYS$LOGIN:EMACS.RC EMACS.RC),
>all to no avail.
>Brad L. Chisholm          sasblc@sas.uucp             ..!mcnc!rti!sas!sasblc

The logical name you need to use to tell Microemacs where to look for files
is EMACSLIB.  Try:

DEFINE EMACSLIB SYS$LOGIN

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/27/88)

I posted those fixes when 3.9e first came out. The method I used was to
go into epath.h and add "sys$login:" to the search paths, after
emacs.hlp. This worked for me.

I have not been able to get 3.9n to even LINK under VMS. Too bad, it's
really nice, with some minor changes I suggested to the author.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

WPR0986@TNTECH.BITNET (06/30/88)

> From:         Brad Chisholm <rti!sas!sasblc@mcnc.org>
> Subject:      Microemacs under VMS
>
> I recently compiled Microemacs 3.9e on our VMS system so that I could use
> the same editor no matter which system I'm on.  Everything works great,
> except it only seems to find its emacs.rc file when it's in the current
> directory.  I've tried putting it in my default login directory, and even
> tried assigning a logical name to it (ASSIGN SYS$LOGIN:EMACS.RC EMACS.RC),
> all to no avail.
>
> Any suggestions? Without it I only get 24 out of 32 lines on my TEK terminal,
> and I miss my cursor and function key bindings!

Try putting this in the file EPATH.H in place of the code
that is already there for VMS.  This will make uEmacs look in
your login directory for the EMACS.RC file.  It also looks
there for the EMACS.HLP file.  You can change the path to what
ever directory location you want for the .HLP file.  You probably
only want one copy of that on the system.  Make it public and
hardcode the path to it so that everyone can get to it from
inside uEmacs.  I hope this fixes your problem.

---------------- cut here ----------------
#if     VMS
{
        "sys$login:emacs.rc",
        "sys$login:emacs.hlp",
        "",
        "sys$sysdevice:[vmstools]"
};
#endif
---------------- cut here ----------------

wpr0986@tntech.bitnet    Tennessee Tech University
Walter Rowe              Cookeville, TN

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/05/88)

In article <26440@bbn.COM> WPR0986@TNTECH.BITNET writes:
  I mailed this info back to the original poster, but there was
recently an incomplete solution posted, which solves the problem
described in the original question by disabling another useful feature
of microemacs.

The pathname vector holds the following info:
	name of the startup file
	name of the help file
	list of alternate dirs, terminated by zero length string
	other directories

Therefore by using the posted suggestion:
| #if     VMS
| {
|         "sys$login:emacs.rc",
|         "sys$login:emacs.hlp",
|         "",
|         "sys$sysdevice:[vmstools]"
| };
| #endif

you do solve the original problem, but the current directory is no
longer searched. This prevents you from having custom startup and/or
help files in a subdirectory. A better solution is to add the login
directory as one of the alternate directories to be searched:
    #if     VMS
    {
            "emacs.rc",
            "emacs.hlp",
	    "sys$login:",
            "",
            "sys$sysdevice:[vmstools]"
    };
    #endif

  Using the list as intended allows the original functionality to be
preserved.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)