[comp.emacs] Tell me about GNU emacs

cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jon Sweedler) (07/06/88)

I recently asked if Emacs can do "block" or "rectangle" operations.  The
reply I got was "yes... but only in GNU emacs."  Well, we don't have the GNU
version here but maybe it would be worth my while to get.  But before I do
this, I have a few questions.

1) Will I be giving up functionality?  Or is GNU emacs a superset of Unipress?
2) How well debugged is GNU emacs?
3) What are the differences between GNU and other versions?  (In general,
I don't want to know every extra command in detail)  Or are different
emacs versions, BASICALLY the same?
4) Is there a "better" version of emacs available?  Or is GNU the
"best." (this is probably a bad question, but I thought I'd try anyway)
5) How do I get GNU emacs?

Thanks in advance.
--
Jon Sweedler    ======    National Semiconductor  (Israel)
  Snail:   6 Maskit st., P.O.B. 3007,Herzlia B 46104, Israel

nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu (Daniel Lawrence) (07/06/88)

In article <810@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jon Sweedler) writes:
>I recently asked if Emacs can do "block" or "rectangle" operations.  The
>reply I got was "yes... but only in GNU emacs."  Well, we don't have the GNU
>version here but maybe it would be worth my while to get.  But before I do
>this, I have a few questions.

	MicroEMACS 3.9n can also do block cuts, copies and pastes.
These functions are driven off the 'B'lock page using the function keys,
and also include a set of commands to draw and manipulate boxes on
machines with line drawing character sets.

			Daniel Lawrence		(317) 742-5153
			UUCP:	{ihnp4!pur-ee!}j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
			ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
			FIDO:	1:201/2 The Programmer's Room (317) 742-5533