[comp.emacs] block moves in emacs?

cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jon Sweedler) (07/03/88)

Is there any way to move a block of text in emacs?  When I say block, I
mean a rectangle of text.  For example:

what EVER is in
upper CASe in this
senteNCE is part
of a BLOCk of text
and wHATEver is in
lower CASe is not
part OF The block.

So the block starts in column 6 and continues to column 9.  I would
like to be able to pick up the block and insert or overlay it in
another position.  (I am using Unipress Emacs v2.15 if it matters)
Thanks in advance.

--
Jon Sweedler    ======    National Semiconductor  (Israel)
  Snail:   6 Maskit st., P.O.B. 3007,Herzlia B 46104, Israel

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (07/05/88)

cjosta@taux01.UUCP writes:
   Is there any way to move a block of text in emacs?  When I say block, I
   mean a rectangle of text.  For example:

Why, sure, no problem...

   (I am using Unipress Emacs v2.15 if it matters)

Oh.  Well, then maybe that is a problem after all.  In GNU Emacs, you
have a whole rectangle manipulation package:

clear-rectangle
  Function: Blank out rectangle with corners at point and mark.
copy-rectangle-to-register
  Function: Copy rectangular region into register REG.
delete-rectangle
  Function: Delete (don't save) text in rectangle with point and mark as corners.
kill-rectangle
  Function: Delete rectangle with corners at point and mark; save as last killed one.
open-rectangle
  Function: Blank out rectangle with corners at point and mark, shifting text right.
yank-rectangle
  Function: Yank the last killed rectangle with upper left corner at point.

--Karl

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (07/06/88)

In article <804@taux01.UUCP>, cjosta@taux01.UUCP writes:
> Is there any way to move a block of text in emacs?  When I say block, I
> mean a rectangle of text...

Yes -- in Montgomery's emacs, at any rate, you invoke picture mode.
You then pick and put blocks the same way you pick and put sequences
of characters in normal mode.

--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		The Man in the Mooney

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/06/88)

In article <804@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jon Sweedler) writes:
| Is there any way to move a block of text in emacs?  When I say block, I
| mean a rectangle of text.  For example:

There is a macro package for microemacs which does what you want.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

eric@nova.laic.uucp (Eric A. Raymond) (07/07/88)

In article <16959@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
> cjosta@taux01.UUCP writes:
>    Is there any way to move a block of text in emacs? ....
>
>    (I am using Unipress Emacs v2.15 if it matters)

Well I scrapped Unipress Emacs when we got GNU up and running, but I
seem to remember there being a mocklisp file you could load which had
these functions in it.  They were not as straight forward as in Gnu
(you had to use a different delimitter than the mark and point),  but
it worked fairly well.

Eric A. Raymond  - ...ucbvax!sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!eric

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/08/88)

It's called rectangle.ml.  It only recently works well.  I'd call
UniPress.  When you buy UniPress Emacs one of the things you get
is the ability to call and ask them questions like that.
The number is (201) 985-8000.   The implementors are also on line
on the mailing alias of "unipress!emacs"

-Ron