[comp.emacs] Gnu emacs questions from Gosling emacs user.

conway@hplb29a.HPL.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway) (06/29/88)

I am in the process of switching over from Gosling Emacs to Gnu Emacs,
and I have a few questions about how to do things in Gnu.  I couldn't find
the answers to these in the manual.  I am running version 18.51 under
HP-UX 6.0 on an HP 9000/ 350.  I am using it with X10.

1) How do I save the state of the buffers that I am editing so that the
next time that I run Gnu Emacs, it comes up visting the files that I
was working with, with the cursor positioned where it was when I exited
the editor?  Gosling emacs does this by writing a file named
.emacs_<user-id> on the connected directory.  I can't figure out how to
do this in Gnu Emacs.  It would be even nicer if I could have Gnu Emacs
come up with the same window layout that I had when I exited.

2) The 'next' and 'prev' keys on my 350 keyboard seem to be turned off
when in Gnu emacs.  They apparently don't transmit anything at all.

3) The border of the X-window built by emacs is always highlighted, whether
the mouse cursor is inside of it or not.

Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Conway
dan_conway@hplabs.hp.com
Palo Alto, CA

ericb@hplsla.HP.COM ( Eric Backus) (07/05/88)

>1) How do I save the state of the buffers that I am editing so that the
>next time that I run Gnu Emacs, it comes up visting the files that I
>was working with, with the cursor positioned where it was when I exited
>the editor?  Gosling emacs does this by writing a file named
>.emacs_<user-id> on the connected directory.  I can't figure out how to
>do this in Gnu Emacs.  It would be even nicer if I could have Gnu Emacs
>come up with the same window layout that I had when I exited.

No idea here.  If it's possible, let me know.

>2) The 'next' and 'prev' keys on my 350 keyboard seem to be turned off
>when in Gnu emacs.  They apparently don't transmit anything at all.

Correct.  You can make them transmit anything you want by creating a
".Xkeymap" file.  See keycomp(1) for details on this.  However, there's
a catch!  Most X10 clients look at the ".Xkeymap" file, including xterm
and hpterm.  If you remap "next" and "prev" to something (anything), then
hpterm will no longer treat these keys the way you are used to.

I believe that it may be possible to instead write some emacs-lisp function
which maps these keys to whatever key sequence you want, but I haven't
investigated it.

>3) The border of the X-window built by emacs is always highlighted, whether
>the mouse cursor is inside of it or not.

That's just the way emacs works.  I, too, would like to see someone add
active/inactive borders to emacs.  I don't have the time to do it myself.

--
				Eric Backus
				hplabs!hp-pcd!hplsla!ericb

rlk@think.com (Robert Krawitz) (07/06/88)

In article <6280001@hplsla.HP.COM>, ericb@hplsla writes:
]>1) How do I save the state of the buffers that I am editing so that the
]>next time that I run Gnu Emacs, it comes up visting the files that I
]>was working with, with the cursor positioned where it was when I exited
]>the editor?  Gosling emacs does this by writing a file named
]>.emacs_<user-id> on the connected directory.  I can't figure out how to
]>do this in Gnu Emacs.  It would be even nicer if I could have Gnu Emacs
]>come up with the same window layout that I had when I exited.
]
]No idea here.  If it's possible, let me know.

A group of people came up with something to dump out the state of an
emacs.  I don't remember who is the official (!) contact person on
that, but you might try asking fad@think.com.

]>2) The 'next' and 'prev' keys on my 350 keyboard seem to be turned off
]>when in Gnu emacs.  They apparently don't transmit anything at all.
]
]Correct.  You can make them transmit anything you want by creating a
]".Xkeymap" file.  See keycomp(1) for details on this.  However, there's
]a catch!  Most X10 clients look at the ".Xkeymap" file, including xterm
]and hpterm.  If you remap "next" and "prev" to something (anything), then
]hpterm will no longer treat these keys the way you are used to.
]
]I believe that it may be possible to instead write some emacs-lisp function
]which maps these keys to whatever key sequence you want, but I haven't
]investigated it.

It is possible to rebind keys from Lisp (I wrote the code), but due to
a bug in the implementation of key mapping in X10, you must have a
.Xkeymap file in order to rebind any keys at all (it's a long and sad
story).  It is also possible for an application to use an alternate
keymap file; unfortunately, I let myself be talked out of implementing
that in emacs.

In any event, to rebind a key, you can use the functions x-rebind-key
and x-rebind-keys.  The former binds a a key, with or without shift
bits, to a key sequence.  The latter binds each of the shift
combinations of a key to a different key sequence (you pass it a list
of elements).  They are both documented on-line.

I don't know if any of this can be done in X11; I think enough of the
X11 folks read this for you to get an answer.

]>3) The border of the X-window built by emacs is always highlighted, whether
]>the mouse cursor is inside of it or not.
]
]That's just the way emacs works.  I, too, would like to see someone add
]active/inactive borders to emacs.  I don't have the time to do it myself.

It won't be in X10 emacs unless someone else decides to do it, since
X10 is a dead end.  X11 is another matter.
--
harvard >>>>>>  |		Robert Krawitz <rlk@think.com>
bloom-beacon >  |think!rlk

conway@hplb29a.HPL.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway) (07/11/88)

/ hplb29a:comp.emacs / conway@hplb29a.HPL.HP.COM (Daniel F. Conway) /  8:49 am  Jun 29, 1988 /

1) How do I save the state of the buffers that I am editing so that the
next time that I run Gnu Emacs, it comes up visting the files that I

[text deleted]

Several people have sent me email indicating that the ultra package by
Kyle Jones will do this.  Thanks for all the help, this was the most
serious problem that I was having with Gnu emacs.

Dan Conway
dan_conway@hplabs.hp.com
Palo Alto, CA