[comp.emacs] talk and talkd

brw@jim.odr.oz (Brian Wallis) (04/14/88)

Does anyone know the protocol that the `talk' program uses to talk to the
daemon `talkd'? Or does anyone have source to a PD `talk' program?
(In case it's relevant, we are running Ultrix 2.0 on a MvaxII + SunOS 3.2
on a Sun3/110)

What I would like to do is write a version to use with a GNU emacs `talk'
mode rather than suspend emacs each time I use talk (a lot).

I'd also like to stop talkd splattering it's message all over the screen, a
message in the mode line and ringing the bell would be better.

--
Brian Wallis (brw@jim.odr.oz)		    O'Dowd Research P/L.
	(03) 562-0100 Fax: (03) 562-0616,

ag@portnoy.CTS.COM (Keith Gabryelski) (04/19/88)

This is posted to the net incase anyone else is interested.

In article <233@jim.odr.oz> brw@jim.odr.oz (Brian Wallis) writes:
>What I would like to do is write a version to use with a GNU emacs `talk'
>mode rather than suspend emacs each time I use talk (a lot).
>
>I'd also like to stop talkd splattering it's message all over the screen, a
>message in the mode line and ringing the bell would be better.

I wrote a conference program that works with GnuEmacs.  It allows
unlimited users to conference as well as Emacs editing and no screen
splattering.  I've given the option to the FSF to distrubute it (if
they wish).  I think Richard is holding up until they have an archive
site to put the sources.

Write me for more information.

pax, Keith

--
[  Keith   ]  UUCP: {ucsd, cbosgd!crash, sdcsvax!crash, nosc!crash}!portnoy!ag
[Gabryelski]  INET: ag@portnoy.cts.com         ARPA: crash!portnoy!ag@nosc.mil

mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) (04/20/88)

In article <233@jim.odr.oz> brw@jim.odr.oz (Brian Wallis) writes:

>Does anyone know the protocol that the `talk' program uses to talk to the
>daemon `talkd'? Or does anyone have source to a PD `talk' program?
>(In case it's relevant, we are running Ultrix 2.0 on a MvaxII + SunOS 3.2
>on a Sun3/110)

Yeah, I know the protocol.  I am working on an emacs lisp/c program to
do talk in emacs.  You can figure out the protocol, kind of, from the
relevant include file.  Incidentally, talkd is used only to rendezvous
the talks.  It doesn't transfer the info, the talks do that
themselves.

>What I would like to do is write a version to use with a GNU emacs `talk'
>mode rather than suspend emacs each time I use talk (a lot).

>I'd also like to stop talkd splattering it's message all over the screen, a
>message in the mode line and ringing the bell would be better.

Since talkd is the system program, you can't change its behavior.
Sigh.

                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

			Michael I. Bushnell
			HASA - "A" division
14308 Skyline Rd NE				Computer Science Dept.
Albuquerque, NM  87123		OR		Farris Engineering Ctr.
	OR					University of New Mexico
mike@turing.unm.edu				Albuquerque, NM  87131
{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike

   I wrote a conference program that works with GnuEmacs.  It allows
   unlimited users to conference as well as Emacs editing and no screen
   splattering.  I've given the option to the FSF to distrubute it (if
   they wish).  I think Richard is holding up until they have an archive
   site to put the sources.

   Write me for more information.

I have tried writing to him for more information with no reply.  So,
Keith, if you're reading this, could you try sending me mail?  Or, if
anyone else has gotten a copy of this package from Keith, could you
tell me where I could FTP it from?
--
Pray that Bush gets re-elected so that the Republicans will be blamed for it.

ag@elgar.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (07/14/88)

In article <1170@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:

>   I wrote a conference program that works with GnuEmacs.
>
>   Write me for more information.
>
>I have tried writing to him for more information with no reply.  So,
>Keith, if you're reading this, could you try sending me mail?

I have recieved several messages wanting more info.  I did post
something a while ago, my guess is it was lost in some news warp.

So...

Conf is now at version 2.0, I will be sending this version to Rich
Salz for posting within a day or two.

Rich has promissed to post it within 3 weeks.  I would suspect it
will be posted within a month.

If you just can't wait:

To download:

elgar is located in San Diego.

elgar Any ACU 2400 16194580259 ogin:--ogin: uucp
elgar Any ACU 2400 16194580208 ogin:--ogin: uucp
elgar Any ACU 2400 16194580240 ogin:--ogin: uucp

All lines cycle 2400--1200--300.

The files /usr/spool/uucppublic/confshar.?.Z (5 parts).

-rw-rw-rw-   1 uucp     uucp        7917 Apr 20 15:32 confshar.1.Z
-rw-rw-rw-   1 uucp     uucp        7396 Apr 20 15:32 confshar.2.Z
-rw-rw-rw-   1 uucp     uucp       12141 Apr 20 15:32 confshar.3.Z
-rw-rw-rw-   1 uucp     uucp        3805 Apr 20 15:32 confshar.4.Z
-rw-rw-rw-   1 uucp     uucp       16791 Apr 20 15:32 confshar.5.Z

uncompress (16 bit) and unshar.  Make a user and group called "conf"
that doesn't have any special access rights.

read ./conf/doc/READ_ME

Send me mail if you have any problems.

Pax, Keith
--
  "If green is all there is to be, then green is good enough for me" - ktf
[  Keith   ]  UUCP: {ucsd, cbosgd!crash, sdcsvax!crash, nosc!crash}!elgar!ag