[comp.emacs] Emacs 18.49 on a Sun 4

josh@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (Joshua Marantz) (07/14/88)

We have Emacs 18.49, and would like to run it on our new Sun 4.  There is
no m-sun4.h file in the distribution, so I copied the sun3.h file, and
modified the Makefile so it would use alloca.c.

The rebuild generated a temacs that dumped core when run.  I tried to fire it
up under dbx and it crashed the sun, saying "Watchdog Reset."  Another
helpful Unix error message.

Any ideas?

-Joshua Marantz
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.

michael@pbinfo.uucp (Michael Schmidt) (07/16/88)

In article <4438@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU>, josh@mit-vax (Joshua Marantz) writes:
>We have Emacs 18.49, and would like to run it on our new Sun 4.  There is
>no m-sun4.h file in the distribution, so I copied the sun3.h file, and
>modified the Makefile so it would use alloca.c.

I just installed it fine obn a SUN-4 with s-sunos4.h and
m-sparc.h. I only had to remove the -Bstatic in s-sunos.h, the ld
on the SUN4 doesn't know that flag.

	Michael Schmidt

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (07/19/88)

In article <4438@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU> josh@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (Joshua Marantz) writes:
>We have Emacs 18.49, and would like to run it on our new Sun 4.  There is
>no m-sun4.h file in the distribution... [temacs dumps core, Sun crashes]

You'd be much better off if you got up to date with 18.51.  Then, use
m-sparc.h and s-sunos4.h and save yourself a lot of trouble.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!bob