[comp.emacs] GNUemacs on a Sequent Symmetry

rjk@mrstve.UUCP (Richard Kuhns) (04/18/88)

I recently posted a request for help getting GNU emacs running on
our new Symmetry.  When I tried recompiling with -g so I could try
dbx on it, it ran perfectly (as in, requests for function documentation
don't cause a core dump anymore).  The ONLY thing I changed from one
compilation to the next was the -g flag.  Apparently Sequent's optimizer
changes something it shouldn't.  Oh well....

If anyone wants the m-symmetry.h file I created, mail me.
--
				       !pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!rjk
Rich Kuhns	{ihnp4, decvax, etc...}

rbj@nav.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (07/14/88)

Please send me m-symmetry.h. On second thought, post it. TIA.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!

aoki@faerie.uucp (Paul M. Aoki) (07/14/88)

In article <8807132245.AA07924@nav.icst.nbs.gov> rbj@nav.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>Please send me m-symmetry.h. On second thought, post it. TIA.
>
>	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>

Hmm -- I have had 18.50 running on a Symmetry for four months without
problems.  I just compiled it with s-bsd4-2.h and m-sequent.h (which
is intended for a ns32k machine) -- I didn't have to diddle anything
at all.  The only trick was taking -O out of CFLAGS (-g is not required,
as someone suggested long ago).

Seems to work fine -- is there something I should know about?
Does this fail with 18.51?
----------------
Paul M. Aoki
CS Division, Dept. of EECS // UCB // Berkeley, CA 94720		(415) 642-1863
aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU					...!ucbvax!aoki

rbj@nav.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (07/19/88)

? Date: 14 Jul 88 05:27:36 GMT
? From: "Paul M. Aoki" <uwmcsd1!ig!agate!pasteur!faerie!aoki@bbn.com>
? Sender: arpa-unix-emacs-request@bbn.com
? Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

? In article <8807132245.AA07924@nav.icst.nbs.gov> rbj@nav.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) writes:
? >Please send me m-symmetry.h. On second thought, post it. TIA.
? >

? ----------------
? Paul M. Aoki
? CS Division, Dept. of EECS // UCB // Berkeley, CA 94720		(415) 642-1863
? aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU					...!ucbvax!aoki

I retract my request for m-symmetry.h, at least for myself. Other people
may find it useful, so perhaps a posting is worthwhile.

Probably the best thing for m-symmetry.h to do is #include m-sequent.h,
and add #defines or #undefs as appropriate.

I built an emacs using the vanilla m-sequent.h and it seemed to work, except
it core-dumped when I typed ^S^S to search for the previous search string.
So I upped PURESIZE and also #defined C_ALLOCA, to include the portable
PD implementation by Doug Gwyn that RMS hacked, and it worked.

mjs@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Spitzer) (07/19/88)

In article <8807181838.AA15994@nav.icst.nbs.gov> rbj@nav.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>I built an emacs using the vanilla m-sequent.h and it seemed to work, except
>it core-dumped when I typed ^S^S to search for the previous search string.
>So I upped PURESIZE and also #defined C_ALLOCA, to include the portable
>PD implementation by Doug Gwyn that RMS hacked, and it worked.

We have this same problem with version 18.48 on our Symmetry.  The
problem appears to be fixed in version 18.51 (using an unmodified
m-sequent.h).  Rbj, which version of emacs are you using?

		-mjs
--
Michael J. Spitzer		Purdue University Computing Center
mjs@s.cc.purdue.edu		pur-ee!s.cc.purdue.edu!mjs

rbj@nav.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (07/19/88)

? From: Mike Spitzer <mace.cc.purdue.edu!mjs@j.cc.purdue.edu>

? In article <8807181838.AA15994@nav.icst.nbs.gov> rbj@nav.icst.nbs.GOV (Root Boy Jim) writes:
? >I built an emacs using the vanilla m-sequent.h and it seemed to work, except
? >it core-dumped when I typed ^S^S to search for the previous search string.
? >So I upped PURESIZE and also #defined C_ALLOCA, to include the portable
? >PD implementation by Doug Gwyn that RMS hacked, and it worked.

? We have this same problem with version 18.48 on our Symmetry.  The
? problem appears to be fixed in version 18.51 (using an unmodified
? m-sequent.h).  Rbj, which version of emacs are you using?

18.51. I used the C_ALLOCA because of the 75%/85%/95% warning feature.
I have often found PURESIZE slightly too small, perhaps because of our
site-init.el feature, which maps ^^ -> ^Q & ^\ -> ^S. I do not know
which change made the difference, but am happy with both of them in.

? 		-mjs
? --