[comp.emacs] which, find, whereis?

fcg@briar.philips.com (Frank Guida;6246;4.82;$0351) (07/22/88)

Does anyone know how to find out where specific Emacs' functions reside
without having to grep through the entire /emacs/lisp directory?

I wanted to take a look at the function "with-output-to-temp-buffer", but
I can't seem to locate the function definition; or any buffer-related
function definitions.  Please help.

- Yours truly

michael@pbinfo.uucp (Michael Schmidt) (07/25/88)

In article <31209@philabs.Philips.Com>, fcg@briar (Frank Guida;6246;4.82;$0351) writes:

>Does anyone know how to find out where specific Emacs' functions reside
>without having to grep through the entire /emacs/lisp directory?

You can create a tags file with "etags" and then use find-tag
(M-.) in GNUEmacs.
--
    Michael Schmidt, Universitaet-GH Paderborn, FB 17, Warburger Str.100,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany