[comp.emacs] using gnu to transform LaTeX to ??

DAVIS@blue.sdr.slb.COM (07/14/88)

	folks - i've just been hacking up a little code to de-LaTeX
	a buffer, in particular, to convert a LaTeX file into a VMS
	Help format file (seeing as how I've written yet *another* one
	of those too...). Seems to me like someone else might have done
	this already - don't worry 'bout the help stuff (that's easy !!):
	its more little oddities that I've missed. So far, I have:

	1) rename sectionheadings (for help or whatever)
	2) stripout all begin/end pairs
	3) fix all LaTeX's \specialchar to specialchar
	4) replace \TeX and \LaTeX (with optional \ ) by TeX and LaTeX
	5) delete using the following regexp:

	   \\[^\\][^[{}]\s \s.]*

	   which seems fairly good at taking out all (La)TeX commands.

	6) strip all {}'s from the buffer (except where escaped).

	Any ideas on what else I might need, improved ways of oing this

	such as better regexps ? It probably *has* to be within Emacs, so
	don't mention the PD deTeX programs - I'd rather work in Elisp,
	if possible.

	many thanks in advance,

	Paul Davis
	Schlumberger Cambridge Research

	davis%blue@sdr.slb.com

	ps: I'll get the shell history stuff out very soon to those who
	asked about it. Sorry its been so long - I'm very busy...

wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) (07/23/88)

In article <8807141806.AA19551@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> DAVIS@blue.sdr.slb.COM writes:

>	folks - i've just been hacking up a little code to de-LaTeX
>	a buffer, in particular, to convert a LaTeX file into a VMS
>	Help format file ..........

If you come up with anything more generally applicable (i.e., TeX/LaTeX-to-
plain-vanilla-ascii (slightly formatted would be nice)), I'd like to know
about it.  T/L-to-nroff would be nice too.....
--
William Phillips                 {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!wfp

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mike DeCorte) (07/23/88)

In article <5694@dasys1.UUCP> wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) writes:

   In article <8807141806.AA19551@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> DAVIS@blue.sdr.slb.COM writes:

   >	folks - i've just been hacking up a little code to de-LaTeX
   >	a buffer, in particular, to convert a LaTeX file into a VMS
   >	Help format file ..........

   If you come up with anything more generally applicable (i.e., TeX/LaTeX-to-
   plain-vanilla-ascii (slightly formatted would be nice)), I'd like to know
   about it.  T/L-to-nroff would be nice too.....

There is a program, dvidoc that converts LaTeX to ascii.  It can
be ftp from sun.soe.clarkson.edu.  archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
can be used if you don't have ftp.  Please let me know if you
have any problems.

--

Michael DeCorte // (315)268-2292 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet   mrd@clutx.bitnet

mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) (07/28/88)

In article <5694@dasys1.UUCP>, wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) writes:
> In article <8807141806.AA19551@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> DAVIS@blue.sdr.slb.COM writes:
> >
> >	folks - i've just been hacking up a little code to de-LaTeX
> >	a buffer, in particular, to convert a LaTeX file into a VMS
> >	Help format file ..........
>
> If you come up with anything more generally applicable (i.e., TeX/LaTeX-to-
> plain-vanilla-ascii (slightly formatted would be nice)), I'd like to know
> about it.  T/L-to-nroff would be nice too.....

How about using TeXinfo? TeXinfo is a subsect of sort of TeX commands,
and it does a great deal of sensible reformatting.  If you want more
than the TeXinfo commands, it's going to be messy or difficult to implement.

You already know about TeXinfo, and can't stand its lack of error checking,
its inability to produce documents in more than one major point size style
(the 11pt, 12pt styles in LaTeX), and wish you could do loads of
nifty things that LaTeX allows but TeXinfo won't support?  Well help
may be on its way!

I've hacked TeXinfo into a LaTeX style, that still passes TeXinfo, with
a minor wrapper funtion in gnu.  Any LaTeX command that it doesn't understand
is ignored, and you get the better debugging and flexibility of LaTeX.
It needs some more tidying up, but I'll post it to the net when it's done.

Mike.

Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611