[comp.emacs] $MESSagesystem

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (07/30/88)

[ Followups in comp.mail.misc ]

In article <1756@mrmarx.UUCP> jaa@mrmarx.UUCP (Jerry Abramson) writes:
>Part of the confusion here regarding the MTS system at RPI (Rensselaer
>Polytechnic Institute) is that the correct name of the operating system is
>MTS/XA (Extended Architecture) Which contains a number of significant
>modifications to the original MTS system developed at Michigan.

Wasn't MTS/XA the version for the IBM 370/XA (and the high end Amdahl
machines MTS sites like to run)?  My understanding was these changes
were mainly modifications to UMMPS to enable it to deal with 32 (31?) bit
real memory addresses, etc. As I recall, UQV installed XA on the 470 in
1980 or '81, with $MESS (and all the other fancy CLS upgrades) coming
a year or two later with the second wave of MTS 5.x.

On a related note, does anyone know if Confer or *FORUM have been
taught about networks and remote sites yet? (I'm trying not to
smile here :-)

DISCLAIM EQU   *
         SVC   6
         END