[comp.emacs] texinfo to nroff/troff converter?

whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) (07/30/88)

I asked this a couple of weeks ago, but got no response.  On the chance that
the question is so common that everybody thought someone else would answer it,
I'll ask it again:  Is there a program around to convert texinfo files into
nroff/troff input?  Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't like it would be
too hard to write, but I'd rather not reinvent it.

I was at the GNU BOF at the SF Usenix and I'm sure that somebody said that they
had this (I think it was someone from Canada), but unfortunately I didn't
pursue it at the time.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Mitchell				whm@sunquest.com
Sunquest Information Systems		sunquest!whm@arizona.edu
Tucson, AZ 				{arizona,uunet}!sunquest!whm
602-885-7700

erlebach@csri.toronto.edu (Beverly Erlebacher) (07/31/88)

In <143@sunquest.UUCP> Bill Mitchell writes:
>I'll ask it again:  Is there a program around to convert texinfo files into
>nroff/troff input?  Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't like it would be
>too hard to write, but I'd rather not reinvent it.

There is such a program.  It wasn't too hard to write but you don't have
to reinvent it. :-)

>I was at the GNU BOF at the SF Usenix and I'm sure that somebody said that
>they had this (I think it was someone from Canada), but unfortunately I didn't
>pursue it at the time.

After the cat was let out of the bag at usenix and in comp.unix.questions,
I've been motivated to spiffy the thing up and post it. It will likely appear
soon in comp.sources.unix and on GNU distribution tapes.

The program is called texi2roff.  As far as I can tell, it will compile and
run on anything, BSD, Sys V, Xenix Sys III, MSDOS, etc. It will generate
your choice of -ms, -me or -mm macro commands.

Sorry you didn't get a response to your earlier posting. I don't read this
group, but someone pointed your article out to me.

If anyone desperately needs it now, they can write to me.

Beverly Erlebacher 			...uunet!utai!utcsri!erlebach
Computer Systems Research Institute 	   erlebach@csri.toronto.edu
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario CANADA