[comp.emacs] Need pointer to documentation for temacs

thakur%cfa201@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (Manavendra K. Thakur) (08/04/88)

I'm trying to install 18.51 on a Sun 2 running OS 3.4.  Each time the
xmakefile tires to run temacs, it bombs out with a strange error, like
this one:

cfa201% make
cd etc; make  all
cd src; make  all
make    -f xmakefile  all
./temacs -batch -l inc-vers
./temacs: ^B^A^K: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `xemacs'

In order to track this down, I need to know just what the hell temacs
is and where I can find documentation on it.  I've perused the
emacs-gnu directories on prep.ai.mit.edu and can't find anything
explaining what temacs wants and what it does.

Can someone please send me info on temacs or point me in the right
direction to learn more about it?

Thanks.

				Manavendra Thakur
				thakur@cfa200.harvard.edu
				{husc6,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa200!thakur

") (08/05/88)

thakur%cfa201@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (Manavendra K. Thakur) writes:
) I'm trying to install 18.51 on a Sun 2 running OS 3.4.  Each time the
) xmakefile tires to run temacs, it bombs out with a strange error, like
) this one:    ./temacs: ^B^A^K: not found

I bet you copied the emacs distribution from a sun-3 on which it had
already been built, and there was a "temacs" already present.  It did
not have a good "magic number" for a sun-2 so the shell tried to run
it as a shell script.  The first four bytes were hex 00 02 01 0b,
which spell a non-existant command name ^B^A^K.

Delete *all* object files and start again.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (08/05/88)

In article <8808032120.AA08239@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> thakur%cfa201@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (Manavendra K. Thakur) writes:

>I'm trying to install ...
>
>make    -f xmakefile  all
>./temacs -batch -l inc-vers
>./temacs: ^B^A^K: not found
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `xemacs'
>
>In order to track this down, I need to know just what the hell temacs
>is and where I can find documentation on it.  I've perused the
>emacs-gnu directories on prep.ai.mit.edu and can't find anything
>explaining what temacs wants and what it does.

Well, I've never built emacs, and have no idea how to. But this looks like a
general unixy type of problem. I'd guess that ./temacs is a binary for some
other machine. The Sun2 can't interpret it as a binary, and so assumes it's
a shell script - hence the "<random binary> not found" message.
   Perhaps if you remove ./temacs, the makefile will make you a correct one?
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

scott@bu-ma.bu.edu (Scott Sutherland) (08/07/88)

In article <623@etive.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:

> In article <8808032120.AA08239@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> thakur%cfa201@HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU (Manavendra K. Thakur) writes:
> >
> >I'm trying to install ...
> >
> >make    -f xmakefile  all
> >./temacs -batch -l inc-vers
> >./temacs: ^B^A^K: not found
> >*** Error code 1
> >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `xemacs'
> >
> >In order to track this down, I need to know just what the hell temacs
> >is and where I can find documentation on it.  I've perused the
> >emacs-gnu directories on prep.ai.mit.edu and can't find anything
> >explaining what temacs wants and what it does.
>
> Well, I've never built emacs, and have no idea how to. But this looks like a
> general unixy type of problem. I'd guess that ./temacs is a binary for some
> other machine. The Sun2 can't interpret it as a binary, and so assumes it's
> a shell script - hence the "<random binary> not found" message.
>    Perhaps if you remove ./temacs, the makefile will make you a correct one?
> --
> Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
> 		   nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

I have built emacs before, and temacs is a temporary "bare" version of
emacs that is built prior to building the real one.  As far as I can
tell, its relationship to the final version of emacs is the same as
virtex is to TeX (or initex, I forget) (which means nothing to you if
you've never built tex before...)  Anyway, the idea is that you
compile all the C code to produce temacs, which then reads in various
lisp stuff to initalize itself, then dumps out a copy of the final
emacs with all the lisp code built in.  What lisp code is included is
partially defined in site-init.el.  Nick's suggestion that you delete
the temacs you have sounds right to me; you can (and should) rebuild
one from the source code.

	Scott Sutherland
	scott@bu-ma.bu.edu
	Boston University Math Department