[comp.emacs] Gnu-emacs on a Macintosh

lapalme@croche.iro.umontreal.ca (Guy Lapalme) (08/22/88)

Is Gnu-emacs available on a Macintosh. I am most interested in the
possibility of using Emacs-Lisp functions and it would be interesting
to have the "usual" Mac interface.

Thanks

--

Guy Lapalme
Dept Informatique et Recherche Operationnelle

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/23/88)

In article <637@mannix.iros1.UUCP> lapalme@croche.iro.umontreal.ca  (Guy Lapalme) writes:
>Is Gnu-emacs available on a Macintosh?

Apple is shipping it with A/UX.

Oh, you probably meant on a Macintosh that *looks* like a Macintosh,
didn't you? :-) If you want to run Emacs under the Finder, you'll have
to look into some of the smaller Emacses.  I hear MicroEmacs has some
Toolbox support, no?
-=-
									--Bob
.  I feel..  JUGULAR..

suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Steve Uitti) (08/24/88)

In article <637@mannix.iros1.UUCP> lapalme@iros1.UUCP () writes:
>Is Gnu-emacs available on a Macintosh.
	I have no idea.  I do have a recent version of Jove running
on my Mac (and PC, and soon, this machine).

> I am most interested in the possibility of using Emacs-Lisp functions
> and it would be interesting to have the "usual" Mac interface.

	Jove doesn't do Lisp as an extension language, but with
Lightspeed C 3.0 on my Mac II (2 Mb RAM), it took only 4 1/2 minutes
to compile and build an application from scratch.  (OK, so it took an
hour for my PC XT clone at 7.16 MHz & MicroSoft C 5.0 to compile it...
Turbo C 1.4 should only take 20 minutes.).  At the end of the day's
edit/compile cycle, I generally remove the objects.  I don't see the
need for an extension language anymore.  I've always known that I
can't stand an editor that starts slowly (read GNU).

	The Jove Mac extensions have rough edges, but work.  The mouse
can be used to change "dot", but not to select text.  There are menus
(even a help fuction in the "about" box), that let you do a number of
things conveniently (set how tabs are interpreted, set C mode...), and
you can open files (visit-file) via a Mac dialogue box.  The cmds.doc
help file only needs to be in the same folder as the application (the
path is not compiled in).  Apparently, with ADB keyboards, the control
key and escape keys do those things.  For older macs, the usual
convensions to work around the brain dead keyboard are used.  This is
determined at run time.

	Maybe I'm biased (no!), having used Jove for so long.  Jove
with a Mac II and standard (adb) keyboard is a very good EMACS.

	Stephen Uitti.