[comp.emacs] Debugging $HOME/.emacs?

regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) (08/31/88)

]:[

dumb question:  is there a way to debug an error in a
fairly large (~60 line) $HOME/.emacs file?  perhaps a way
to get emacs to echo back what it has read, line-by-line,
and report where it gets hung?  how about shoving it through
an interpreter?  (hmmm...spanish?  ;-))

our emacs version is gnu 17.62.9 (jan '87).  can someone
tell me what the latest version is?  is it time for us to
update?

thanks!

--

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (08/31/88)

In article <2186@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
>Is there a way to debug an error in a fairly large (~60 line)
>$HOME/.emacs file?  perhaps a way to get emacs to echo back what it
>has read, line-by-line, and report where it gets hung?  how about
>shoving it through an interpreter?

try this:

	(setq debug-on-error t)
	(load-file "~/.emacs")
	... and away you go into the land of the emacs-debugger

>our emacs version is gnu 17.62.9 (jan '87).  can someone tell me what
>the latest version is?

We are running 18.51 here.  I don't think any newer versions have been
announced yet.

>is it time for us to update?

It was 'that time' about a year and a half ago. ;-)

---
Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
TEL: (617) 267-4365	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang

agw@convent.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) (08/31/88)

Hi.

The following works fairly well.  First, invoke emacs via

	% emacs -q .emacs

The -q option brings up emacs, without trying to load in your .emacs
file.  Furthermore, you now have one window on the screen, with your
.emacs contained therein.  Now, all you need to do is

	M-x eval-current-buffer

and the error, along with the offending line, will appear in the
minibuffer.

Happy hunting.
	Art Werschulz

 	ARPAnet:  agw@columbia.edu
	USEnet:   ...!columbia!agw
		  (if that doesn't work, try ...!rutgers!columbia!agw)
	ATTnet:   Columbia University (212) 280-3610 280-2736
		  Fordham University  (212) 841-5323 841-5396

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (09/01/88)

In article <2186@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
>our emacs version is gnu 17.62.9 (jan '87).
of historical interest, perhaps :-)

>can someone tell me what the latest version is?
18.51

>is it time for us to update?
long past :-)
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Uh-oh --  WHY am I suddenly thinking of a VENERABLE religious leader
 frolicking on a FORT LAUDERDALE weekend?