[comp.emacs] Simple editors aren't GNU Emacs

rms@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Richard Stallman) (09/02/88)

There is nothing wrong with discussing a simple text editor, vi, or
tiny machines, but unless it has to do with GNU Emacs, there is no
reason to expect most of the readers of this list to be interested.
In fact, some readers will be unhappy with the volume of extraneous
mail and leave the list.

So please find another mailing list or newsgroup that is more
appropriate.

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (09/03/88)

Sorry, but all emacs editors aren't GNU Emacs!

In fact, I'd call most of the others that claim to be "a version of
emacs" (other than Gosling's maybe) to be simple editors in comparison
to GNU Emacs :-).

I must agree that there has been a lot of noise here lately (and yes,
this is just more of the same).  Most of this noise could more
appropriately be directed into comp.editors (hint hint), but as for
offending GNU Emacs users, just be glad this isn't gnu.emacs we're
blabbering in!  (No, I didn't set a Followup-To:.)
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

jds@mimsy.UUCP (James da Silva) (09/03/88)

In article <1988Sep2.191134.24624@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>
woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:

>Sorry, but all emacs editors aren't GNU Emacs!
>
>I must agree that there has been a lot of noise here lately (and yes,
>this is just more of the same).  Most of this noise could more
>appropriately be directed into comp.editors (hint hint), but as for
>offending GNU Emacs users, just be glad this isn't gnu.emacs we're
>blabbering in!  (No, I didn't set a Followup-To:.)
>--
>						Greg Woods.

Eh?  The article that you are refering to (<8809011727.AA00270@sugar-bombs>)
was posted only to gnu.emacs and was refering to the cross-posting of the
Simple Editors discussion into gnu.emacs, which is gatewayed to an internet
get particularly annoyed at extraneous traffic; it's much more of a burden
than in a newsgroup.

I don't think that RMS or anyone else has a problem with the discussion of
*any* emacs, large or small, in comp.emacs.  Perhaps somewhere along the line
you are getting gnu.emacs articles stuck in comp.emacs, or maybe you've been
reading too much news?  :-)

					- Jaime

usenet:   uunet!mimsy!jds 				James da Silva
internet: jds@mimsy.umd.edu
      "Stand on each other's shoulders, not on each other's toes."

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (09/04/88)

In article <13374@mimsy.UUCP> jds@mimsy.umd.edu (James da Silva) writes:
> In article <1988Sep2.191134.24624@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>
> woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes: [ that's me! ]
> >
> >Sorry, but all emacs editors aren't GNU Emacs!
>
> Eh?  The article that you are refering to (<8809011727.AA00270@sugar-bombs>)
> was posted only to gnu.emacs [....]
>
> I don't think that RMS or anyone else has a problem with the discussion of
> *any* emacs, large or small, in comp.emacs.  Perhaps somewhere along the line
> you are getting gnu.emacs articles stuck in comp.emacs, or maybe you've been
> reading too much news?  :-)
>
> 					- Jaime

The article we both refer to appeared in comp.emacs (and only comp.emacs)
on utgpu.

I did goof up a bit though.  I didn't see any of the "simple editors"
articles appear in gun.emacs, probably because I use rn and it often
filters out cross-posting.  (but there are; I just grep'ed 4 subject
lines from the local spool directory.)

My sincerest appologies to RMS.  I now see his intent was to tell off
the guy who cross posted the original article.  (Why didn't you just say
so? :-)

[ This is my only complaint about cross posting; though it doesn't
affect me directly, since I'm not on many mailing lists.  Maybe
followups shouldn't be automatically cross posted.... ]