[net.unix-wizards] "inode: table is full" - a question

alex@lancelot (03/14/86)

From: Alex Bronstein <alex@lancelot>

Hello,

	Someone called me and told me that his VAX is suffering from
the following symptoms:

The message: "inode: table is full" keeps being printed on his console.

I have tracked that down to iget() in /sys/sys/ufs_inode.c, but there
is no comment as to the likely cause (or fix) for this problem.
(I.e. should he recompile his kernel with a bigger constant somewhere,
buy more memory ?)

The only other information I have is that there are 2 disks on the
machine (ra81s I believe) and 10 days ago, they hooked up an
"Interlan net", the problem got worse after that.

	Has anybody around here ever encountered a similar problem?
Does anybody immediately see what's going on?

	Thank you,

				Alex

[It is clear from your message that this is a 4.2BSD system.]

Reconfigure and recompile the kernel with a bigger MAXUSERS, or
change the value of `ninode' in the existing kernel and/or the
definition of NINODE in conf/param.c.  If you just need more inode
table space and are happy with your current MAXUSERS, the following
will fix things up:

	% su
	<password>
	# adb -w /vmunix
	ninode?D
	<will print something like `_ninode: 356'>
	ninode?W 0t<new, larger number, eg 512>
	<will print something like `_ninode: 164 = 200'>
	<type control-D here>
	# shutdown <parameters>
	<eventually, it shuts down>
	# fastboot

Read the documentation on `configuring a 4.2BSD system'; it explains
all this stuff somewhere (I think).
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris

root@uokmet.UUCP (03/19/86)

>The message: "inode: table is full" keeps being printed on his console.
>
>I have tracked that down to iget() in /sys/sys/ufs_inode.c, but there
>is no comment as to the likely cause (or fix) for this problem.
>(I.e. should he recompile his kernel with a bigger constant somewhere,
>buy more memory ?)

Yes, it is a constant.  For 2.9BSD, the constant you need is NINODE
in param.c.  I don't know the file name for 4.2/4.3BSD.

	Kevin W. Thomas

UUCP:	...!ihnp4!okstate!uokvax!uokmet!kwthomas