[comp.emacs] Mouse supported under supdup?

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (09/06/88)

I just noticed that in the lisp directory of our 18.50 GNU Emacs, there is a
file called:
sup-mouse.el writtemn by Author:   Wolfgang Rupprecht
which is supposed providing:
Contents: supdup mouse support for lisp machines

Unfortunately, there is no documemtation to make it work... I guess that at
least, we have to bind the function SUP-MOUSE-REPORT to the ESC: key. Where is
this done? Do I need to configure something on the Lisp Machine (which does not
seem apriori to send any esc sequence...). BTW I am running Genera 7.2.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
                                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                MENLO PARK, CA 94025

wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (Wolfgang Rupprecht) (09/08/88)

In article <21736@sri-unix.SRI.COM> felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) writes:
>I just noticed that in the lisp directory of our 18.50 GNU Emacs,
>there is a file called: sup-mouse.el writtemn by Author: Wolfgang
>Rupprecht which is supposed providing: Contents: supdup mouse support
>for lisp machines
>Unfortunately, there is no documemtation to make it work... I guess
>that at least, we have to bind the function SUP-MOUSE-REPORT to the
>ESC: key. Where is this done? Do I need to configure something on the
>Lisp Machine (which does not seem apriori to send any esc
>sequence...). BTW I am running Genera 7.2.

I think I can give a few hints ;-)

The package was written for the LMI Lambda Lisp Machine.  The standard
supdup code needed one small (~10 line) patch to make the gnu mouse
work.  As I recall, internal to supdup, a mouse hit was encoded as a
lisp list (of 3 integers???) sent down a stream.  One of the last
things to happen to the stream before being sent to the network code
was to strip all of the lisp lists out of it and discard them.  What
the patch did was to convert the lisp list to an ascii escape sequence
that was then sent down the network connection.

The only other hooks one had to put into gnuemacs to make this work
was a key binding of "\e:" for sup-mouse-report and an autoload for
it.

Sorry. I don't have a copy of the supdup patches anymore.  Those were
left behind when I left LMI.

-wolfgang
Wolfgang Rupprecht	ARPA:  wolfgang@mgm.mit.edu (IP 18.82.0.114)
TEL: (617) 267-4365	UUCP:  mit-eddie!mgm.mit.edu!wolfgang