[comp.emacs] Using an <alt> key instead of an <esc> prefix.

rfarris@serene.CTS.COM (Rick Farris) (09/06/88)

Can anyone tell me how I can use my alt-key on my pc instead of <esc>
prefixes? I would really like to be able to substitute say <alt><d>
for delete-word for <esc>-<d>.

My preference is not so much the choice of keys, as it is that <alt><d>
is one keystroke, whereas <esc>-<d> is two.  In order to delete several
tap the <d> key until I've deleted the number of words I want.  To
perform the same task with the <esc>-<d> combination, I must alternate
between the <esc> (actually <ctrl><[>) key and the <d> key.

Predictably, I find the <alt> key to be preferable for all of the
<esc>-prefix commands.

I suppose that the <esc>-<v> sequence would have been a better
example -- if I could just use <alt><v> to back up pages, it would
be much like <ctrl><v> for moving forward pages...

In particular, I'm using Unipress Emacs under Xenix 286 v2.2, but I
expect my question is somewhat generic.

                      _______________________________
Rick Farris          |      rfarris@serene.UUCP      |   Voice  (619) 259-6793
POB M                |   <backbone>!serene!rfarris   |   BBS          259-7757
Del Mar, CA 92014    |_______________________________|   serene.UUCP  259-3704

If carpenters built buildings the way most programmers write programs,
         the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. . .

In article <156@serene.CTS.COM> rfarris@serene.CTS.COM (Rick Farris) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how I can use my alt-key on my pc instead of <esc>
>prefixes? I would really like to be able to substitute say <alt><d>
>for delete-word for <esc>-<d>.

Emacs binds M-d (ESC d) and C-M-d (ESC Ctrl-d) to different functions.  Does
your keyboard distinguish between Alt-d and Ctrl-Alt-d?  Mine doesn't.

brown@galaxy.ee.rochester.edu (Eric Brown) (09/08/88)

In article <7049@haddock.ima.isc.com> karl@haddock.ima.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>In article <156@serene.CTS.COM> rfarris@serene.CTS.COM (Rick Farris) writes:
>>Can anyone tell me how I can use my alt-key on my pc instead of <esc>
>>prefixes? I would really like to be able to substitute say <alt><d>
>>for delete-word for <esc>-<d>.
>
>Emacs binds M-d (ESC d) and C-M-d (ESC Ctrl-d) to different functions.  Does
>your keyboard distinguish between Alt-d and Ctrl-Alt-d?  Mine doesn't.

What Karl says is true.  I think the problem can be overcome though
through a very simple TSR.  As I understand it (correct me if I'm
wrong), the meta-key is supposed to set the msb-bit when a key is sent
to emacs.  If pc-emacs will take the same thing, a TSR can do the
trick.

After I get emacs for my pc, I will probably try and write it - look
for it here in about two months.

-Eric Brown.
ee.rochester.edu

neitzel@infbs.uucp (Martin Neitzel) (09/08/88)

In article <156@serene.CTS.COM> rfarris@serene.CTS.COM (Rick Farris) writes:
rf>
rf>	Can anyone tell me how I can use my alt-key on my pc instead of
rf>	<esc> prefixes? [...]  Predictably, I find the <alt> key to be
rf>	preferable for all of the <esc>-prefix commands. [...]
rf>
rf>	[...] I expect my question is somewhat generic.

100% agreed.  For the IBM-PC the obvious way to Do It Right is to have a
keyboard driver with _full_ support for the ALT compinations.  This
would be useful both when you are running a (small) emacs locally as
when you use your pc as terminal.

To make a long story short:  I have just begun to work on such a driver
and will make the results available -- if I get something running...

Please do not flood my mail box now.  Or, if you have such a thing
already: post it!

							Martin
Martin Neitzel,  Techn. Univ. Braunschweig, W.Germany
BITNET/EARN:	neitzel@dbsinf6.bitnet	  (mail via bitnet preferred)
UUCP:		neitzel@infbs.uucp  (unido!infbs!neitzel)
from ARPA:	neitzel%dbsinf6.bitnet@psuvax1.psu.edu