[comp.emacs] GNU ld / as / cc

mike@turing.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (09/14/88)

I have gotten the latest version of GNU ld, as, and gcc.  I am having
some problems with getting them all to work together.  When I compile
everything with pcc, and install it, it all works great.  Then, I
recompile everything with gcc, gas, and gld, and install (after all
has been recompiled).  Now, ld gives bogus errors, the debugging
information on ld is incorrect and doesn't match the assembly code,
and numerous other problems.  Has anyone out there, on a VAX, gotten
all this to work together right?

The reason I want all of it, and not just the compiler, is because I
would like to use the gdb symbol table format.  Much faster loading
and much more useful.

--
                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

       \                Michael I. Bushnell
        \               HASA - "A" division
        /\              mike@turing.unm.edu
       /  \ {ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (09/15/88)

In article <1201@unmvax.unm.edu> mike@turing.unm.edu.UUCP (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>...Then, I recompile everything with gcc, gas, and gld, and install
>(after all has been recompiled).  Now, ld gives bogus errors, the
>debugging information on ld is incorrect and doesn't match the
>assembly code, and numerous other problems.  Has anyone out there, on
>a VAX, gotten all this to work together right?

I use the GNU tools (gmake, gcc, gas, gld, xgdb) together on a Sun-3
under 3.5.1 regularly - in fact, that describes my normal working
environment.  I have never noticed any problems of the sort you
describe.

If you post your query to gnu.utils.bug (or, equivalently, mail them
to bug-gnu-utils@prep.ai.mit.edu), you'll find an audience that's more
likely to be able to help you.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Yow!  It's some people inside the wall!  This is better than mopping!